Breaking: Conor Benn tests positive for COVID-19, ruled out for Granados fight on Saturday
By Barry Holbrook: In terrible news for the Matchroom Fight Camp for this Saturday, the headliner fight between welterweight contender Conor Benn and Adrian Granados is now off the card following Benn’s positive test for COVID-19.
Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn states that Benn (18-0, 12 KOs) vs. Granados (21-8-3, 15 KOs) will be rescheduled for a later date.
The good news is the title fight between the exciting WBA ‘regular’ featherweight champion Can Xu and #12 WBA Leigh Wood has been moved into the main event on the card.
It’s a disappointment losing the Benn-Granados fight, but Xu (18-2, 3 KOs) vs. Wood (24-2, 14 KOs) will make up for it with their exciting fight.
Eddie Hearn’s statement on Conor Benn
“Breaking news and slightly disappointing news that Conor Benn has failed his COVID test this morning for his upcoming fight against Adrian Granados,” said Eddie Hearn on Twitter.
“We are conducting further PCR tests, but he will be off the card on Saturday night. Luckily, it’s a stacked card from top to bottom.
“Avni Yildirim will be moved before the bell to the main broadcast, and the world championship fight between [WBA ‘regular’ featherweight champion] Can Xu and Leigh Wood will now headline Week 1 along with the co-main event between Tommy McCarthy and Chris Billiam-Smith for the British Commonwealth and European Championship.
“Conor Benn is in good spirits; he feels well. Of course, he’ll obey the isolation rules and reset and reschedule his fight with Adrian Granados.
“We’ll make further announcements on that very soon, but for now, we move to the press conference ahead of a huge night on Saturday, and we look forward to seeing you there,” said Hearn.
BREAKING: Conor Benn has tested positive for COVID-19 and is out of Saturday’s Fight Camp main event vs. Adrian Granados. New date to be announced shortly.
The Xu Can vs. Leigh Wood world title fight will now headline Fight Camp 1.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Conor 🥊 pic.twitter.com/c9Zyf6mNTC
— DAZN Boxing (@DAZNBoxing) July 29, 2021
Hearn didn’t say whether Conor Benn had received a vaccine for COVID-19. Angry boxing fans are already demanding to know why Hearn hadn’t checked to ensure that the 24-year-old Benn had been vaccinated for COVID-19, particularly after the mess that Tyson Fury had recently created when he tested positive for the virus for his trilogy match against Deontay Wilder.
This would have been worse news if Benn was facing a top-tier welterweight, but this was another lower-level opponent.
- Eubank Jr beats Conor Benn with no problem says Roy Jones Jr
- Conor Benn confident of victory over Chris Eubank Jr
- Eubank Jr to hang up his gloves if he loses to Benn
- Conor Benn: I’m going to be hitting Eubank Jr “from all angles”