Boxing News - Latest Headlines

Dillian Whyte bitter, says he shouldn’t wait for Joshua vs. Fury

Alexander Povetkin Anthony Joshua Dillian Whyte Tyson Fury

By Jeff Aronow: Dillian Whyte says he shouldn’t have to wait any longer for his world title shot against Anthony Joshua or Tyson Fury. Whyte feels he should be fighting one of those two fighters next after his win over Alexander Povetkin last Saturday.

Whyte, 32, seems to have a sense of entitlement about him deserving a world title shot. What fuels this sense of entitlement is the so-called 1,000+ days that Whyte waited to get a title shot against former WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder.

What hindered Whyte’s efforts at fighting for the belt was his decision not to agree to two WBC title eliminators they asked him to take against Dominic Breazeale and Luis Ortiz. Had Whyte taken those fights, he would have been the mandatory for Wilder long ago, and he would have gotten a title shot.

Dillian did his job of avenging his previous loss to Povetkin (36-3-1, 25 KOs) in destroying him by a fourth round knockout last Saturday night t Gibraltar. In the fourth, Whyte put an exclamation point on his victory by knocking the 41-year-old Povetkin out with a left hook to the head that left him on the canvas.

Whyte (28-2, 19 KOs) maintains that he’s waited long enough for his world title shot and had already been passed up by Dominic Breazeale in the past. Nevertheless, Dillian is not able to challenge immediately for the world title as the new WBC interim heavyweight champion and mandatory for that belt.

Alexander Povetkin Anthony Joshua Dillian Whyte Tyson Fury

As the news mandatory with the World Boxing Council, Whyte may need to wait approximately one year for his title shot against whoever holds the WBC title after Joshua and Fury fight twice.

There are no guarantees that Whyte will get a shot at fighting either Joshua or Fury, and if he pushes the WBC too hard, the title may be vacated by Fury. If that happens, Whyte won’t fight AJ or Fury.

“I’m not prepared to wait. I’ve waited long enough,” said Whyte to Sky Sports News when asked how long he’s prepared to wait to fight the winner of the Anthony Joshua vs. Tyson Fury fight.

There’s no reason I should wait anymore. Why should I wait anymore? Look at Eric Molina, he’s had two world title shots.

“Dominic Breazeale, he’s had two or three [world title shots]. All of these guys, they’re nobodies compared to me. I follow the rankings the proper way,” said Whyte.

The decision that Dillian made to face Joseph Parker and Dereck Chisora rather than take part in the WBC’s ordered title eliminators against Luis Ortiz and Breazeale are the reason he didn’t get a title shot.

Moreover, what Whyte fails to understand now is he’s the NEW WBC mandatory for champion Fury. Although Whyte finally agreed to fight Oscar Rivas in a WBC-ordered title eliminator in 2019, he lost that position as the mandatory when he was beaten last year by Povetkin.

Alexander Povetkin Anthony Joshua Dillian Whyte Tyson Fury

Now that Whyte has regained the WBC mandatory spot by his fourth round knockout win over Povetkin lat Saturday night, the clock has started.

In other words, Whyte is no longer going by his 2019 status as WBC mandatory because he lost last year. So basically, Whyte is looking a year or more before he’ll get a chance to fight for the WBC title, be it against Joshua or Fury.

“I was number one challenger and mandatory, and they gave it to Dominic Breazeale, who was number three or number five. It’s crazy.

“I’ll just break Joshua’s leg so they can’t make the fight and then I’ll step in and fight Fury,” Whyte said when asked how will he get his title shot.




Related Boxing News:
Subscribe (Free!)
Search

The views expressed in all articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of Boxing News 24 or its affiliates.

Boxing News FB Boxing News Twitter Boxing News INstagram Boxing News 24 Youtuber Mail

Privacy Statement l TOS & Cookies Policy l Back To Top l Contact Us