Fighters react to Spence win over Garcia
By Barry Holbrook: The top fighters were out in force congratulating Errol Spence Jr for him coming back from his horrifying car crash a year ago to defeat Danny Garcia last Saturday night.
Spence (27-0, 21 KOs) looked like he hadn’t missed a beat in schooling Danny Garcia (36-3, 21 KOs) over 12 rounds in front of an audience of over 16,000 boxing fans at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
IBF/WBC welterweight champion Spence erased all doubts that fans had about his ability to fight at the same level he once did with his emphatic 12 round unanimous decision conquest against Garcia.
You’ve got to give Danny a tremendous amount of credit to stand in and take everything that Spence could dish out for 12 rounds.
A lesser fighter than Garcia would have folded up by the third or fourth, but he stayed in there for the duration.
The judges saw it 116-112, 116-112, and 117-111, which was a little closer than how this writer scored it. I personally gave Garcia two rounds in scoring it 118-110.
Oddly enough, Spence viewed Danny ‘Swift’ as a tune-up fight to get him ready for the elite fighters, and now he’s planning on returning in the summertime in 2021 to fight one of the top guys.
Spence isn’t saying who he wants to try and fight next, but he’s mentioned in the recent past that he would like to face Manny Pacquiao.
Top fighters praise Errol Spence
- “That was inspiring Errol Spence coming back from that wasn’t easy,” said lightweight contender Ryan ‘Kingry’ Garcia @KingRyanG.
- “I saw it 8-4. 1 early run. Errol took 2 late rounds off. And then I thought Danny stole the 10th… but I may be biased to the underdog right there ♂️ lol; at any rate, Both fighters fought hard n strong n Errol showed us THE TRUTH! #SpenceGarcia,” said Shawn Porter @ShowtimeShawnP)
- “Errol Spence was blessed with another opportunity to fight again. He came back tonight and fought a great fight against a fighter who is respected in the game. Big respect! Congrats, bro,” said Andre Ward @andreward.
- “The “does he still have it” questions have been answered by Errol SpenceJr tonight against a tough opponent in Danny Swift, but the biggest question remains 👉🏾 #spenc-ecrawford?” said former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis @LennoxLewis.
- “Danny Swift was getting nowhere near the credit for the good s*** he was doing, but def lost to the best fighter in the division tonight,” said former WBC junior middleweight champion Tony Harrison @lamboxing.
“He’s back. The elephant left the room quickly,” said Lennox Lewis about Spence. “Everybody was wondering what he was going to do. He was going to do the same things he’s always done, and that’s to come forward, throw that jab and throw a lot of punches in bunches.
“I think they needed to do a lot more than they did,” said Lewis about Team Danny Garcia. “If he didn’t come in and change the mode of what he normally does, it’s going to be a difficult night for him. He needed to do something different,” said Lewis.
- Crawford’s trainer BoMac tells Spence “Bud is ready”
- Bob Arum picks Terence Crawford to defeats Errol Spence Jr
- Andre Ward wants to see Crawford deal with Spence’s pressure
- Mikey Garcia favors Crawford to beat Spence