Marc Castro Debut Off After Positive Covid Test
Marc Castro’s pro debut has been cancelled after the fighter and his father-trainer Tony tested positive for COVID-19.
The Fresno talent had been ready to take his first steps in the paid ranks in Tulsa, Oklahoma on Saturday night, but that will now be put on ice after the receipt of his positive result from his test on the ground in Tulsa yesterday. Marc and Tony are now under quarantine and are isolated from the other fighters on the card and personnel involved in the show.
All other tests for fighters, their camps and all staff around the event came back negative and the card will go ahead as planned.
“We are all extremely disappointed for Marc that his debut has been postponed following his positive test for COVID-19,” said Dr. Rod Ballelos, Matchroom’s Chief Medical Officer.
“Marc and his father will now be under strict quarantine, and plans are being made to ensure the safety of everyone still involved in the event, as well as to not expose the community and contribute to this already devastating pandemic.”
“While it is upsetting news for all concerned, I believe the strict protocols that we have put in place – ensuring a negative test prior to travel to Tulsa, quarantine upon arrival to the hotel, then tested once again – have proven to be effective. Furthermore, social distancing, religious use of masks, and the sanitary practices we have put in place have also proved that such basic practices do work in preventing the spread of COVID-19.”
Saturday night’s card continues in Castro’s absence, topped by Cecilia Brækhus (36-0 9 KOs) gunning for history in the 26th defense of her undisputed Welterweight crown against unified Super-Lightweight champion Jessica McCaskill (8-2 3 KOs) in the unique setting of the downtown Tulsa streets as Matchroom return Stateside.
Rising Super-Welterweight Israil Madrimov (5-0 5 KOs) can close in on World title honors as he meets Eric Walker (20-2 9 KOs) in a final eliminator for the WBA World title while Madrimov’s fellow countryman Shakhram Giyasov (9-0 7 KOs) will now face Wiston Campos (31-7-6 19 KOs) after second replacement opponent Rey Perez was ruled out following original opponent Francisco Rojo being forced out of the bout after testing positive for COVID-19 during his training camp in his home city, and a pair of young talents complete the card in Nikita Ababiy (8-0 6 KOs) and Raymond Ford (5-0 2 KOs).
Marc Castro cannot wait to get his pro career underway when Boxing returns. In the latest episode of ‘Peleamundo,’ the hot prospect says he has the best team backing him to guide his journey to the top in promoter Eddie Hearn and manager Keith Connolly.
Castro announced he was turning pro with Hearn and Matchroom Boxing USA ahead of the enormous fight night in Dallas in February, with the Briton winning the race to land the amateur standout who as an amateur boasted a record of 177 wins and seven losses with a stellar 48-1 record in the international and national competition.
Hearn giving Castro a great opportunity
In addition to being a two-time Amateur World Champion, Castro is a 16-time National Champion, three-time National Silver Gloves champion, and two-time National Junior Olympics Champion.
The 20-year-old will be eager to hit the ground running after the enforced hiatus on the Sport, and the amateur sensation feels confident that with Hearn and Connolly behind him, he can reach his goals.
“It feels really good to sign with such a great promoter like Eddie,” said Castro. “He gave me what I asked, and it’s such an excellent opportunity for my professional career.
He gave me everything I wanted, and he’s honestly the future of the Sport. My family and I feel good with Eddie. He feels like family.
“It feels good to have Keith as my manager because he is someone in the Sport who has experience in the big fights but also has prospects like Nikita Ababiy and Reshat Mati. He has a lot of respect in the boxing world.
“I think I’m going to have a great career. My dreams are finally coming true with this, and all my family has sacrificed so much. So, it’s so crucial for me to earn money and take care of my family.
“I want to be World champion, to unify the divisions, be a fighter of the people that they remember me as one of the great Mexican fighters and that they think of me when they think of Boxing. And that’s a lot right now, but that’s what I’m thinking of achieving step by step.”
Will Castro train with Reynoso?
There is still one piece of the jigsaw that Castro has to put in place before he steps through the ropes, and that’s his trainer. One man in the frame is Ring Magazine trainer of the year Eddy Reynoso, who also appears in the second Peleamundo, and trains Castro’s longtime friend Ryan Garcia.
“I trained with Eddy Reynoso 2019 for a month,” said Castro. “He’s a great trainer. He has Canelo and everything. It was a great honor to train with him.
“Ryan is a good friend. We’ve been friends since we were kids. He’s honestly more like family—his parents and siblings and also mine. We’ve been friends since 10-11. We’ve always been very close. We’re always training together, and our families are close, so we know each other well.”
Castro is the latest future star to appear on ‘Peleamundo,’ and he appears on the show along with Reynoso and his exciting WBC World Flyweight champion Julio Cesar Martinez.
More Boxing News:
- Joshua Buatsi won’t underestimate Marko Calic on Oct.4
- Live Stream: McKenna vs Davies; Dickens fails COVID-19 test
- Mikaela Mayer vs Ewa Brodnicka as the Inoue-Moloney Co-Feature on Oct.31
- Ángel and Chávez Barrientes training camp quotes
- Chantelle Cameron vs Dos Santos Araujo this Sunday October 4, live on Sky Sports
- Andy Ruiz Jr to fight in early 2021, starts training with Reynoso & Canelo today
- Devin Haney: Gamboa fight is a done deal, I can hurt him
- Oscar de La Hoya looking fast and powerful in mitts workout
- Canelo Alvarez has refiled his lawsuit against Golden Boy and DAZN
- Porter: Erislandy Lara is the next guy for Jermell Charlo at 154