Boxing News - Latest Headlines

Boxing results from the weekend: Richie Rivera, Nick Webb, More

- Latest

Rising Connecticut stars RICHIE “POPEYE THE SAILOR MAN” RIVERA and “ACTION” ANTHONY LAUREANO both remained undefeated with impressive performance tonight on a solid “New England Explosion” card in front of an enthusiastic crowd at MassMutual Center in Springfield, Massachusetts.

“New England Explosion,” presented by JOE DEGUARDIA’S STAR BOXING, sponsored by MGM Springfield, aired live in a first for New England Sports Network (NESN), and streamed worldwide (excluding N.E.) on www.FITE.TV.

Heavy-handed Rivera (now 16-0, 12 KOs) took his power up to the cruiserweight division against “MIGHTY” JOE JONES (now 11-2, 8 KOs), who unexplainably kept his hands very low, as “Popeye” pounded him to the head and body in the main event. Rivera hit Jones with everything but the kitchen sink, in what looked like batting practice at times, although “Popeye” failed to register a stoppage for only the third time in 16 pro fights.
It was a rough, physical fight that got chippy early with both fighters exchanging trash talk and showboating. Rivera, who hails from Hartford, pressed the action throughout the fight against a defensive Jones, who switched to a peep-a-boo style in the later rounds.

“I’m strong to the finish because I eat my spinach….toot, toot! My coach kept telling me to relax but, honestly, I was putting on a show. More or less, I was acting,” Rivera talked about the roughhousing. “He was tough. My team said to box. The plan wasn’t to go for a knockout. I threw some big shots just to let him know.

“I’m so happy to have had my seventh fight this year. I’ve been active and I’m undefeated. I try to put on a show for the fans and be a role model.”

In the co-main event, Laureano (now 13-0, 4 KOs), a 2016 New England Golden Gloves champion from nearby East Hartford, CT., defeated Texas super lightweight ANGEL “AZTEC WARRIOR” HERNANDEZ (17-14-2, 11 KOs) in a toe-to-toe battle from the opening . This TV-friendly fight could have been fought in a proverbial phone booth. Laureano, as usual, was relentless in his attack, systematically breaking down his opponent with strong body work of his own, as well as seemingly landing uppercuts and left hooks at will.

Laureano (pictured below on the right) took control in the second and never let up against a game Hernandez, who, like Laureano, never stopped throwing punches. Eventually, Laureano won an 8-round unanimous decision in a wildly entertaining, highly competitive clash.

“It was beautiful,” Laureano commented. “I like wars, my trainers don’t. I let my emotions take over. It was a beautiful fight, though, all action and the people loved it. But I fought his fight. I did adapt and showed some of my boxing ability at some points.

“He’s experienced and came in confident. He kept coming; he’s tough. This will build me into a better fighter. I did a lot of good things. The goal is to learn from every fight, I will, and we’ll go back to the drawing board.”

Danbury, CT super lightweight OMAR “THE BEAST” BORDOY (now 10-1, 3 KOs) opened the NESN broadcast with a masterful display of boxing, winning all eight rounds on each of the three judges’ scorecards for an 8-round unanimous decision against late replacement DIEUMERCI “ELEPHANT MAN” NZAU (now 11-11, 8 KOs).

Bordoy effectively and consistently beat Nzau to the punch, moved well inside the ropes, and never put himself in dire straits. “It felt good,” Bordoy said after the fight. “The game plan was to out-box him, use my job, and not take any unnecessary chances. I followed the game plan and came out with an easy victory.

“I knew he had some power and he caught me with a good punch early. I watched some tape of him and listened to my trainers. I want to get back in the ring as soon as possible.”
In a battle of welterweight southpaws, hometown favorite DERRICK “BAD BOY” WHITLEY II (6-1-1) suffered a cut over his right eye from an accidental headbutt by JERMAINE CORLEY (3-8, 1 KO) during the second round. The ringside physician halted the action after two rounds and the fight, by rule, was a “no decision.”

In the opening bout of the evening, Hartford welterweight prospect JEFFREY TORRES (now 6-0, 4 KOs) kept his undefeated record intact, pitching a shutout for a 6-round unanimous decision over Brockton, MA journeyman ANTONIO CHAVES FERNANDEZ (now 9-40-4, 3 KOs). Torres out-boxed Fernandez, who was buzzed several times, from start to finish.

Brazilian light heavyweight LEANDRO “BUSCAPE” SILVA (2-3, 1 KO) ruined the homecoming for local fighter ANGEL ‘ THE BLACK RICAN” VAZQUEZ (0-2) In the walk-out bout, Silva trapped Vazquez on the ropes in the fourth round. Vazquez suffered a standing eight count, but the referee halted the action, and awarded Silva a win by technical knockout.

Complete results and more pictures below:


Richie Rivera (16-0, 12 KOs), Hartford, CT
WDEC8 (80-72, 80-72, 80-72)
Joe Jones (11-2, 8 KOs), Leesburg, VA

Leandro Silva (2-3, 1 KO), Woburn, MA
WTKO4 (2:00)
Angel Vazquez (0-2), Springfield, MA

Derrick Whitley II (6-1-1), Springfield, MA
Jermaine Corley (3-8, 1 KO), Mt. Vernon, NY

Jeffrey Torres (6-0, 4 KOs), Hartford, CT
WDEC6 (60-54, 60-54, 60-54)
Antonio Chaves Fernandez (9-40-4, 3 KOs), Brockton, MA

Anthony Laureano (13-0, 4 KOs), East Hartford, CT
WDEC8 (79-74, 79-74, 77-76)
Angel Hernandez (17-14-2, 11 KOs), McAllen, TX

Omar Bordoy (10-1, 3 KOs), Danbury, CT
WDEC8 (80-72, 80-72, 80-72)
Dieumerci Nzau (11-11, 8 KOs), Silver Spring, MD

‘Wild’ Webb Wins Ultimate Boxxer 6 Heavyweight Golden Robe after thrilling showdown in Manchester.

A scintillating evening of entertainment at Ultimate Boxxer 6 saw Nick ‘Wild’ Webb crowned champion in the first ever heavyweight tournament, receiving the Golden Robe and a share of the £50,000 prize money.

Webb, saw off Yorkshire hardman and former soldier, Mark Bennett in a thrilling final bout, with Webb coming out on top on points in front of a sold out and electric crowd in Manchester and live on BT Sport.

The Chertsey star, who is managed by former British and Commonwealth Heavyweight Champion Scott Welch, overcame local lad Chris Healey in the quarter-finals, before seeing off the impressive Danny Whitaker, who stunned almost everyone when he took out the bookies favourite Jonathan Palata in the quarter finals.

Meanwhile Bennett’s route to the final saw him take part in two brutal fights. The quarter-final victory against Scotsman Jay McFarlane came on points before an exhilarating bout with former Huddersfield Giants rugby league player, Josh Sandland. The semi-final clash between the two Yorkshiremen had the crowd on their edge of their seats with the pair trading huge punches throughout the fight.

On the undercard ahead of the final, Florian Marku whipped the crowd up into a frenzy with his unanimous victory over Nathan Bendon, which delighted the strong Albanian contingent and Arsenal and Switzerland football star Granit Xhaka. The bout certainly left the stage set for a pulsating final between the two heavyweights.

Commenting on the victory, Webb said: “It’s been a tough tough year, for me, my family, my fiancé, but this makes it all worthwhile. I’m lost for words. I’ve been through it all – to hell and back but to win the Golden Robe is amazing. It’s just the start for me though. I’m going to enjoy Christmas big time, but watch this space”

Ultimate Boxxer Results:

Final: Webb vs Bennett – Webb

Semi-Final 1: Bennett vs Sandland – Bennet
Semi-Final 2: Webb vs Whitaker – Webb

Quarter Final 1: Bennet vs McFarlan – Bennet
Quarter Final 2: Sandland vs Sokolowski – Sandland
Quarter Final 3: Webb vs Healey – Webb
Quarter Final 4: Whitaker vs Palata – Whitaker

Whateley captures title in 71 seconds!

Red hot Cruiserweight prospect Jason “Warrior” Whateley needed just 71 seconds to destroy defending Australian champion Daniel Russell. The bout held at the Timberyard, Port Melbourne, Australia was also sanctioned as an eliminator for the Commonwealth title.

The former Olympian and 2018 Commonwealth Games silver medalist raised his record to 7-0 (6 KO), dropping Russell with a devastating right hand just 15 seconds into the bout. Russell beat the count but Whateley was ruthless, dropping his stunned foe again and another follow up barrage forced the referee to intervene.

“We worked on switching levels in training, going from the body to the head,” said Whateley. “I knew once that right hand landed flush it was pretty much over.”

Whateley’s trainer Marcos Amado said: “Jason is a coach’s dream. He is a dedicated athlete who lives and breathes boxing. We expected to get a stoppage but probably not within 71 seconds”.

“We are very excited to see what the future brings for Jason,” said co-manager Matt Clark. “He’s an exciting fighter to watch and when he gets someone hurt, they’re out of there. We think he’s one of the brightest prospects out there in the division”.

Sam “The Vanilla Gorilla” Victorious In Long-awaited Ring Return

Undefeated Cruiserweight Fan Favorite Glides To Four Round Shutout Decision Win

Cruiserweight sensation Sam “The Vanilla Gorilla” Crossed of Greenbelt, Maryland, was triumphant in his first fight after a year long layoff on December 14, 2019, in Tysons Corner, Virginia. Crossed sailed to a four round shutout unanimous decision over 37 fight veteran heavyweight Michael Davis of Cincinnati, Ohio. The unbeaten Crossed improves his record to 9-0, with five knockouts to his credit.

Crossed, who had multiple fights fall out over the last 12 months, was ecstatic to be able to once again ply his trade in the squared circle.

“It was nice to finally get some rounds after the year I’ve had,” Crossed said. “The game plan was to step it up every round, which I feel like I did.

“I wanted to take my time and break him down, but in a four rounder that can be tough sometimes.”

Crossed doesn’t plan to stay on the shelf very long. He looks to return to the Baltimore-Washington Region in the first quarter of 2020.

“We are just waiting on the contract for my next fight,” the Maryland native expounded. “I can’t wait to announce my next opponent and the venue.

It’s going to be my first 10 round fight against and big step up in caliber of opposition; A win like this would do wonders for my career.”

Crossed and his team hope to be able to make an announcement in the next week or two with regards to his next fight.

Sarah Bormann Defeats Lotta Loikkanen, Still WBF World Champion

Undefeated German star Sarah “Babyface” Bormann is still the World Boxing Federation (WBF) Womens World Light Flyweight Champion after successfully defending her title for the first time on Saturday, December 14.

Bormann had a little too much in the bag for gritty and game challenger Lotta Loikkanen from Finland, as she scored a unanimous decision in the main event of a big show at at the traditional Christmas Circus in Karlsruhe.

The 29-year-old champion, who also holds world titles with the Womens International Boxing Federation (WIBF) and Global Boxing Union (GBU), won by scores of 96-94 (judge Goran Filipovic), 96-94 (judge Alexander Hermann) and 99-89 (judge Monika Tubic).

A pro for almost exactly two years, Bormann improved her unblemished record to 12-0 (7), while Loikkanen (35) lost for the first time and drops to 6-1 (2).

The fight was promoted by Thomas Schwarz and his TS Fight-Sportmanagement.

More Boxing News:

Comments are closed.

Subscribe (Free!)

The views expressed in all articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of BoxingNews24 or its affiliates.

Facebook Button Twitter Button Insta Button Twitter Button Mail

Privacy Statement l Cookies Policy l Boxing Resources l Back To Top l Contact Us