Boxing News - Latest Headlines

The Golden Contract tournament will be live on Sky Sports

- Latest

MTK Global is delighted to confirm the pioneering #GoldenContract tournament will be broadcast by TV giants Sky Sports in association with Matchroom Boxing.

The competition that has the entire boxing world talking kicks off October 4, when the quarter-finals of the featherweight division take place at London’s famous York Hall.

The Golden Contract tournament will feature eight featherweights, eight super-lightweight and eight light-heavyweights with three divisional winners earning a two-year, five-fight deal with six-figure purses for each fight guaranteed.

Knockout bonuses are also on offer, and the forthcoming 126lb curtain-raiser features some high-profile stars in Ryan Walsh, Davey Oliver Joyce, Jazza Dickens, Tyrone McCullagh, Leigh Wood, Hairon Socarras, Carlos Ramos and Carlos Araujo.

Super-lightweight already boasts Ohara Davies, Tyrone McKenna, Zhankosh Turarov, Mohamed Mimoune, Akeem Ennis Brown, Anthony Yigit and Darren Surtees as entrants while the likes of Hosea Burton, Steven Ward, Liam Conroy, Bob Ajisafe and Serge Michel have secured slots in the light-heavyweight events.

Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn said: “It’s a great format – quarter-finals, semi-finals and the final. The winner comes out as a bit of a superstar and also goes straight into a major contract with a promoter as well.

“Get them in there, make the draw, no-one can duck anyone, no seeding. Go and beat them and run all the way to the final.”

Sky Sports Head of Boxing Adam Smith said: “The Golden Contract is an exciting concept which has been created by MTK Global and we’re really looking forward to showcasing the inaugural tournament live on Sky Sports.

“There are some familiar faces in the different weight classes who always bring drama, high-octane fights and explosive knockouts, so you should expect an enthralling evening of action when the competition begins on October 4. We really can not wait for it.

“The Golden Contract is a welcome addition to our stacked Autumn as we bring you a bumper schedule of live boxing on Sky Sports.”

MTK Global President Bob Yalen said: “We are hugely excited to have reached this deal with Eddie, Adam and their respective teams at Matchroom and Sky Sports. We look forward to working with them closely to bring this outstanding concept to the public.

“When three powerhouses unite to put their collective expertise and resources into making something great, you know they’re going to succeed; so if they weren’t already, everyone should be very, very excited about the Golden Contract Tournament and supporting their favourite boxers.”

MTK Global Professional Development Coordinator Jamie Conlan said: “This is fantastic news for all parties concerned and a proud day for MTK Global.

“We’re delighted to be working with two of the biggest companies in the game to bring the Golden Contract Tournament to the masses. We believe these events are going to be a huge hit with everyone who gets to see them both at the events themselves and on TV.”

MTK Global: ‘Golden Contract’ boxing tournaments announced

MTK Global is delighted to announce even more names for the Golden Contract tournament.

At featherweight, IBF European champion and IBF no. 9 Jazza Dickens, unbeaten WBO European featherweight champion and WBO no. 11 David Oliver Joyce, and unbeaten WBO European super-bantamweight champion and WBO no. 8 Tyrone McCullagh will all be part of the competition.

At super-lightweight, former IBO champion, European champion and WBC no. 12 Mohamed Mimoune, unbeaten IBF European champion Akeem Ennis Brown, and WBO Inter-Continental champion and WBO no. 9 Zhankosh Turarov are part of the tournament.

At light-heavyweight former British and Commonwealth light-heavyweight champion Bob Ajisafe and former English light-heavyweight champion Liam Conroy have both entered the competition too.

The winner of each tournament will land a two-year, five-fight deal with one of the world’s leading promoters that guarantees six-figure purses for every fight along with global exposure.

To add to the excitement, fighters will not know their opponents until fight week, at the start of which the highly anticipated draws will be made. All titles held will be on the line in each fight and knockout bonuses are also on offer.

In the featherweight bracket, Dickens (27-3, 11 KOs) is ranked #9 in the world by the IBF and heads into the tournament on the back of his impressive win over Nathaniel May for the IBF European title in July, whilst also knocking out Nasibu Ramadhani in April too.

Dickens said:

“There are two reasons why I wanted to be part of the Golden Contract tournament. I love to fight and show the world what I can do and I want to be a global name and become a world champion.

“It’s a massive opportunity to change my family’s lives. I will win the tournament because I’m dedicated, determined, motivated and hungrier than I’ve ever been. I’m looking forward to being the champion, and I hope everyone enjoys the massive the tournament.”

Unbeaten Joyce (11-0, 8 KOs) is ranked #11 in the world by the WBO and has been in fantastic form since making his professional debut two years ago, winning all 11 of his fights, including an impressive stoppage win over Stephen Tiffney in April.

Joyce said:

“I’m confident I will win this tournament and then it gives me an amazing opportunity to become world champion. “I don’t mean to disrespect any of the other boxers that enter, but I truly believe I have got the ability to win it all.”

Fellow undefeated fighter McCullagh (13-0, 6 KOs) is stepping up from super-bantamweight to compete in the tournament, having won the WBO European title and earned a #8 world ranking by the WBO in that weight class.

McCullagh said:

“I entered the tournament because it’s a massive opportunity for me to make a name for myself. It’s a life-changing award for the winner. I’ll win this tournament because I’m not only doing it for me, I’m doing it for all of my fans.

“You are going to see a different, more serious side of Tyrone McCullagh. I’ll eat, sleep and breath boxing from now until the day I win that tournament.”

Dickens, Joyce and McCullagh join Ryan Walsh, Leigh Wood and Hairon Socarras as fighters already confirmed for the featherweight bracket.

At super-lightweight, Mimoune (21-3, 2 KOs) defeated Sam Eggington to win the European title back in 2017, and also went on to win the IBO world title. Earlier this year he shared the ring with Viktor Postol, and is hoping to win the Golden Contract tournament under the guidance of trainer Roy Jones Jr.

Mimoune said:

“I’m really excited for the Golden Contract tournament. We’re working hard in training getting ready for it and I want to win it to get the contract with a major promoter.”

Unbeaten Brown (13-0, 1 KO) enters after putting together an impressive win streak which has seen him defeat Chris Jenkins, Freddy Kiwitt, Glenn Foot, Darragh Foley and Bilal Rehman, winning the IBF European title along the way.

Brown said:

“As soon as I heard about the Golden Contract tournament, I said sign me up. I’m entering because not only does it help me climb up the rankings, but I can fight top level fighters from around the world and show everybody what I’m about.

“The fans should be happy I’m a part of this too. Now that I’ve entered, the tournament has got 100 times better. Tyrone McKenna is in it too, and hopefully we can get it on so I can take his title. None of the fighters in this tournament are on my level.”

Fellow undefeated fighter Turarov (24-0, 17 KOs) has returned to action this year and reminded everyone just what he is capable of, as seen when he made it a homecoming to remember by knocking out Mauro Maximiliano Godoy in three rounds at the Bary Arena in Kazakhstan last month.

Turarov said:

“I have entered the Golden Contract to become the king of the super-lightweights. Remember my words. In the next 18 months I will become a world champion.”

Mimoune, Brown and Turarov join Ohara Davies, Tyrone McKenna and Anthony Yigit as the other fighters already announced for the super-lightweight bracket.

At light-heavyweight, Ajisafe (19-3, 9 KOs) has been a big part of the British scene for a number of years, having held the British and Commonwealth titles, and also challenging for the IBO world title in 2016. He holds wins over the likes of Ovill McKenzie, Travis Dickinson, Dean Francis and Matty Clarkson.

Ajisafe said:

“I’m really excited to be entering the Golden Contract tournament, and I’m extremely confident that I will be the last man standing.”

Conroy (17-5-1, 9 KOs) heads into the tournament on the back of his incredible Fight of the Year clash with Steven Ward, and he’ll be looking to replicate the form that saw him earn three straight knockout wins during his English title fights with Miles Shinkwin, Chris Hobbs and Joel McIntyre.

Conroy said:

“This is a brilliant opportunity given to me by MTK Global. I’ve been grafting hard for a long time, and it’s my time now. I’m going show to everybody that I’m the best.”

Ajisafe and Conroy join Hosea Burton, Steven Ward and Serge Michel as the other names already confirmed for the light-heavyweight bracket.

Light-heavyweight elite confirmed for Golden Contract tournament

MTK Global is delighted to announce the first list of fighters that will be competing in the light-heavyweight edition of the exciting Golden Contract tournament.

Former British champion Hosea Burton, unbeaten WBO European champion and WBO no. 12 Steven Ward, and former WBC International champion Serge Michel will all be part of the line-up, with even more huge names set to be announced.

The winner of each tournament will land a two-year, five-fight deal that guarantees six-figure purses for every fight along with global exposure.

Burton (24-1, 11 KOs) is the former British champion and has won all but one of his 25 fights, picking up impressive knockout wins over Miles Shinkwin, Jahmaine Smyle, Fernando Castaneda and Ratu Latianara during his career.

Burton said:

“I’m the best light-heavyweight in Great Britain, and the reason I’m entering this Golden Contract tournament is because I’m also the most avoided light-heavyweight in Great Britain.

“It’s a great opportunity for me to get some fights and get some exposure, and once I win this competition I’ll move on to big things.”

Unbeaten Ward (12-0, 4 KOs) is ranked #12 by the WBO heads into the tournament on the back of his recent fight of the year contender with Conroy, where Ward came out on top after an incredible back and forth battle.

Ward said:

“I feel this is a massive opportunity. There haven’t been tournaments like this before, and it’s a tournament I feel I can win due to my amateur background.

“As an amateur you’re used to showing up and fighting guys on a few hours’ notice from the weigh-in. With this you only find out who you’ll face the week of the fight, so it’s very exciting. There are some massive rewards on offer at the end.”

Michel (8-1, 6 KOs) has displayed impressive knockout power in his career so far, as shown when he stopped Sheldon Lawrence inside three rounds to win the WBC International title in October.

Michel said:

“I’m from Germany and a former Olympian and I’m more than ready to win this tournament.”

Super-lightweight elite confirmed for Golden Contract tournament

MTK Global is delighted to announce the first list of fighters that will be competing in the super-lightweight edition of the exciting Golden Contract tournament.

Former WBC Silver champion Ohara Davies, recent world title challenger and IBF no. 5 and WBC no. 13 Anthony Yigit, and WBC International champion Tyrone McKenna will all be part of the line-up, with even more huge names set to be announced.

Davies (19-2, 14 KOs) heads into the tournament on the back of his victory against former world champion Miguel Vasquez in June, going alongside the wins he has picked up over the likes of Derry Mathews, Andrea Scarpa, Tom Farrell and Paul Kamanga earlier in his career.

Davies said:

“I have entered the Golden Contract tournament because I love fighting. I’ve been doing it ever since I was a kid.

“There are many other fighters that are world-class level entering the tournament, but I believe I’m one of the best in the world and this is the only way I’m going to prove it, by entering the tournament and coming in first place.

“I’m confident I will win because I think I am the hungriest fighter in the tournament. Nobody works as hard as me and I don’t think there’s anyone that wants to win as much as I do.”

Yigit (24-1-1, 8 KOs) is ranked #5 by the IBF and #13 by the WBC and is a former European champion with wins over the likes of Joe Hughes, Lenny Daws, Siar Ozgul and Philip Sutcliffe Jnr, and also challenged for the IBF world title last October.

Yigit said:

“I’m excited to be participating in the Golden Contract tournament. You’ll see explosive fights from me and I’ll be making sure to see all of them. Everyone will see me on top of the world again.”

McKenna (19-1-1, 6 KOs) was recently in action at the Ulster Hall in Belfast, defeating Darragh Foley in an entertaining battle in June to pick up the WBC International title.

McKenna said:

“I’m in this to clear out the riff-raff and the competition. There are a few names in here that have been ducking and diving and dodging me and didn’t want to fight me, but now they’ll be forced to fight me.

“That’s a beautiful thing because I’ll be knocking them out. As I always say, line them up, sign them up and I’ll bash them up.”

Featherweight stars announced for golden Contract Tournament

MTK Global is delighted to announce the first list of fighters that will be competing in the featherweight edition of the exciting Golden Contract tournament.

British featherweight champion and WBO no. 6 Ryan Walsh, Commonwealth champion and IBF no. 15 Leigh Wood, and unbeaten WBA no. 7 Hairon Socarras will all be part of the line-up, with even more huge names set to be announced.

Walsh (24-2-2, 11 KOs) is ranked #6 by the WBO and made the sixth defence of his British title in June when he defeated Lewis Paulin, plus he also holds wins over the likes of Reece Bellotti, James Tennyson, Marco McCullough, Darren Taynor and Samir Mouneimne.

Walsh said:

“I’ve entered this tournament because I know that I can win it. I’m really excited with the opportunity it brings and the activity.

“There are some good fighters in this tournament but I believe my experience will be the major factor towards my success.”

Wood (22-1, 12 KOs) is ranked #15 in the world by the IBF and won the Commonwealth title with a knockout over Abraham Osei Bonsu in March, before following that up with another impressive knockout win against Ryan Doyle in May.

Wood said:

“It’s going to very exciting and all the fans are going to be getting great fights. There will be no ducking and diving or waiting for mandatory positions. You know what I bring every time and I can’t wait.”

Unbeaten Socarras (22-0-3, 14 KOs) is a highly-touted star from Cuba who is ranked no. 7 by the WBA, with 14 of his wins coming by knockout. He has spent the majority of his career competing in America, where he holds wins over names such as Jesus Martinez, Carlos Ruiz, Mike Oliver and Jose Nieves.

Socarras said:

“I’m delighted to be entering the Golden Contract tournament. I’ve got 14 wins by stoppage in my career so far and with the knockout bonuses in this competition, I’ll be on the hunt for more wins inside the distance.”

‘Golden Contract’ tournament

MTK Global is proud to announce a trio of ‘Golden Contract’ tournaments featuring title-holders and world-ranked stars from all over the world.

The three competitions will take place at featherweight, super-lightweight and light-heavyweight with eight fighters in each category competing for huge prizes; the ultimate reward being a lucrative contract with one of the world’s leading promoters.

MTK Global President Bob Yalen said: “This is a landmark announcement for the company, for the boxers participating, and for the boxing fans. We have no doubt the ‘Golden Contract’ series will capture everyone’s imagination.

“We’ve all seen the success of similar competitions over the years but this takes things a step further with its layered reward system and the big incentives offers.

“The fans are already sure to win because the big names and fast-emerging elite prospects will be throwing everything at trying to win these tournaments – not just for the immediate rewards, but for the future opportunities presented as well. Action is guaranteed throughout the course of the tournaments.

“MTK Global is proud to provide this unique programming to its US broadcast outlet Top Rank on ESPN+ and is also already in talks with British and European broadcast partners.”

MTK Global Professional Development Coordinator Jamie Conlan added: “This is fantastic news for all concerned.

“The major statements just keep on coming and we believe these tournaments can become a mainstay of boxing in the future.

“When you think about it, this format ensures everyone gets what they want. The fighters are booked in for a period of activity, the promoters can assess who the main men are and the fans get to watch all the entertainment unfold.

“I now can’t wait to see which fighters make the final cut and line up for the quarter-finals.”

Three quarter-finals nights will take place in October / November, three semi-finals nights in February / March and the all-important finals will be staged in May / June.

Search

The views expressed in all articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of BoxingNews24 or its affiliates.

Facebook Button Twitter Button Twitter Button

Privacy Statement l  Back to top of page l Cookies Policy l Boxing Resources l Contact Us