Wilder reacts to Whyte being made his mandatory
By Charles Brun: WBC heavyweight champion Deontay ‘Bronze Bomber’ Wilder says he’s glad that “crybaby” Dillian Whyte is finally his official mandatory challenger after he defeated Oscar Rivas in an official WBC title eliminator last Saturday night at the O2 Arena in London, England. Now that Whyte (26-1, 18 KOs) is his official mandatory, Wilder says he’s going to knock him “silly” when that fight gets made.
Wilder (41-0-1, 40 KOs) isn’t saying when he’ll be defending against Whyte though, as he has a rematch coming up against Luis ‘King Kong’ Ortiz on November 9, and then a second fight against Tyson Fury that could take place in February of next year. The winner of the Andy Ruiz Jr. vs. Anthony Joshua rematch is also a possibility for Wilder to fight before or after his rematch with Fury.
Whyte struggles when matched against semi-tough opposition
Whyte, 31, wasn’t overly impressive in beating Rivas (26-1, 18 KOs) by a 12 round unanimous decision. Rivas knocked Whyte down in the ninth round, and had him hurt once again in the 12th after bouncing a right hand off his jaw.
For the many Whyte boxing fans that think he’s going to beat Wilder, they may be bitterly disappointed what happens when he does get his chance. Whyte’s performances against Joseph Parker, Dereck Chisora, Joshua and Rivas have shown clearly that he’s a level below the elite level fighters. Whyte has done a good job of beating the carefully selected opposition his clever promoter Eddie Hearn has lined up for him, but he’s not looked good when put in with quality fighters.
The final round was a strange one with the referee stopping the action three times to give Rivas warnings while he was attempting to finish off the badly hurt Whyte. It looked to some boxing fans like the referee was trying to keep Whyte from getting knocked out by Rivas, because he was hurt.
Wilder: Whyte could have fought for the title four times
“The crybaby finally got his mandatory position,” said Wilder in talking about Dillian Whyte to AB Boxing News. “The crybaby going around crying, ‘600 days, and all that.’ Mother-f—-r, he could have been fought [for a world title]. He had four opportunities to fight. What took you do long? They [Matchroom Boxing] want to have this uproar about how he’s not getting opportunities [to fight for the WBC heavyweight title] just to build up the fight. It’s pathetic and stupid. I’m happy he’s finally the mandatory. He really thinks he can [win]. I can’t wait,” said Wilder about wanting to defend against Whyte.
Whyte blew his chances to fight Wilder by failing to fight in a WBC title eliminator when the sanctioning body ordered him to fight Luis Ortiz last year. Dillian chose to fight Dereck Chisora instead. It’s unknown whether Whyte felt like he was above having to fight in eliminators to be made the WBC mandatory. What’s interesting is Whyte still chose to complain about not being made the WBC mandatory challenger even after he chose not to fight in the sanctioning bodies’ eliminator against Ortiz. It didn’t make sense for Whyte to complain about not being made the mandatory for Wilder when he chose not to fight in an eliminator.
Wilder says Whyte is going to be Breazeale 2.0
“It’s going to be like [Dominic] Breazeale 2 all over again,” said Wilder. When that fight comes, he’s going to be in the fight of his life. I want him to know that right now. I don’t play around with nobody with what I say. Everyone knows I’m a realist in the business. When I say things, I mean it. He put up about how hard it was when he came up. Everybody came up hard. That’s nothing to a king. When it comes to Deontay Wilder, I’m a different beast. He’s going to see. Since he wants me, he’s going to get. Be careful for what you ask for. Many times these mother-f—-rs ask for me, and when they get me, it wasn’t what they thought it was going to be. I can’t wait. I’m going to knock him out silly,” said Wilder about his plans for Whyte.
Wilder, 6’7″, recently knocked out his WBC mandatory Dominic Breazeale (21-2, 18 KOs) in the first round on May 18 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Breazeale had did a lot of trash talking before the fight, but Wilder made easy work of him in knocking him out with a big right hand to the head.
Whyte was lucky to get passed Rivas
Whyte’s victory over Rivas was a lot tougher than many boxing fans expected it to be. Rivas dropped Whyte hard in the ninth round with a big uppercut. Luckily for Whyte, Rivas gassed out quickly in that round, and couldn’t muster up the energy to finish him.. Whyte won the contest by the scores 115-112, 115-112 and 116-111. If Rivas had better stamina, he would have likely knocked Whyte out in the ninth round when he had him hurt. In addition, if the referee hadn’t suddenly started giving Rivas warnings for coming in head first in the 12th round, he might have knocked Whyte out.
Wilder interested in fighting Andy Ruiz Jr.
“We’d love to fight [Andy] Ruiz. I have a fight with [Luis] Ortiz, and then maybe fighting [Anthony] Joshua or not,” said Wilder to AB Boxing News. “I’m not sure what’s going on with their situation [Joshua and Ruiz], if they’re going to fight. One minute you hear there’s a rematch, and then the next minute you hear one team is reconsidering taking the rematch. I’ll see what happens. It can go different directions. I definitely want to unify, and once I get the opportunity to unify, I’m definitely going to do so,” said Wilder.
IBF/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Andy Ruiz Jr. is by far the better fight for Wilder than a rematch with Tyson Fury. Ruiz brings in big ratings, as we saw in his last fight on June 1 at Madison Square Garden in New York. Fury’s recent match against Tom Schwarz failed to sell a lot of tickets on June 15, and the U.S boxing fans weren’t interested. Wilder vs. Ruiz Jr. is a better fight on paper than Wilder-Fury.
Wilder dares Eddie Hearn to try and block one of his fights
“First off, I’d like to see the other promoter [Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Boxing] try and block anything I’m doing,” said Wilder when told that Whyte’s promoter Hearn could try and force him to defend against Whyte by May of 2020. “He’d be the laughing stock of the world trying to block. He’s been trying to block ever since I met him, and he cant block nothing. At this point in time, he carries a chain with an ‘L’ on it, because all he catches is ‘L’s,'” said Wilder in dropping a hint about Hearn’s money fighter Anthony Joshua having recently been knocked out by Andy Ruiz.
Wilder has until May of 2020 to defend against Hearn’s fighter Whyte. The only way Wilder wouldn’t take that fight is if he faces the winner of the Ruiz vs. Joshua rematch in a unification fight. But the World Boxing Council will likely give Wilder permission to bypass Whyte in order to take that fight. Hearn will have to tell Whyte to stay patient until after the smoke clears. He’ll eventually get his fight, but it might be until later on next year.
- Anthony Joshua’ plans: Dillian Whyte in August & Deontay Wilder in December
- Deontay Wilder Believes Oleksandr Usyk Is Afraid To Fight Him
- WBA will order Usyk vs. Wilder next if Dubois unable to fight in summer
- David Haye insists Joshua must fight Whyte in summer to prepare for Wilder