Bowen vs McCorry; Gorman vs Johnson ESPN+ Weights
Nathan Gorman 253 vs. Kevin Johnson 266
Sam Bowen 129.75 vs. Jordan McCorry 125.5
CJ Challenger 152.25 vs. Kyle Haywood 153.25
Two of Great Britain’s most promising young prospects will be showcased live in the United States on Saturday afternoon.
In the main event from Morningside Arena in Leicester, England, Sam Bowen will make the first defense of his British super featherweight title against Jordan McCorry. And, in the co-feature, heavyweight hopeful Nathan Gorman will fight former world title challenger Kevin “Kingpin” Johnson in a 12-rounder.
Bowen-McCrory and Gorman-Johnson will headline a live and exclusive stream beginning at 3:30 p.m. ET/12:30 p.m. PT on ESPN+, the new multi-sport, direct-to-consumer subscription streaming service from The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer & International segment in conjunction with ESPN.
Bowen (14-0, 10 KOs) is coming off a banner 2018 in which he knocked out Maxi Hughes in eight rounds to win the vacant British super featherweight title and knocked out Horacio Alfredo Cabral in four to pick up the WBO Intercontinental belt. His first British title defense comes against McCorry (17-4-1, 4 KOs), who is looking to rebound from a competitive decision loss to Patrick Kinigamazi.
Gorman (15-0, 11 KOs) is one of Britain’s top heavyweights, a 22-year-old boxer-puncher who is making his 2019 debut after a successful 4-0 campaign in 2018. In his last bout, Dec. 22 in Manchester, England, he dominated former world title challenger Razvan Cojanu over 12 rounds to score a near-shutout decision. Johnson (34-12-1, 18 KOs) is a 16-year-pro who has fought many of this generation’s leading heavyweights, including Vitali Klitschko, Kubrat Pulev, Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury. He has only been knocked out twice as a pro.
In other action:
Sam Maxwell (10-0, 8 KOs) will square off against Sabri Sediri (10-0-1, 5 KOs) in a 10-rounder for the vacant WBO European 140-pound title.
In a 10-round battle featuring a pair of unbeaten super welterweights, CJ Challenger (9-0, 2 KOs) will fight Kyle Haywood (8-0, 1 KO).
ESPN+, which surpassed one million paying subscribers in just five months, is the premium multi-sport, direct-to-consumer video service from The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer and International (DTCI) segment and ESPN. It offers fans thousands of additional live events, on-demand content and original programming not available on ESPN’s linear TV or digital networks, along with premium editorial content
More Boxing News:
- Boxing Results: Jamal James defeats Thomas Dulorme
- Boxing Results: Terri Harper and Natasha Jonas fight to a 10-round draw
- Fox Sports and PBC announce blockbuster schedule for 2020
- Jose Ramirez vs. Viktor Postol on August 29 LIVE on ESPN+
- McCaskill: Beating Braekhus Leads To More Mega-Fights
- Jermell Charlo and Billy Joe Saunders trade trash talk
- Ryan Garcia and Devin Haney must wait for Tank Davis clash says Mayweather Promoter
- Vasily Lomachenko reducing his purse to get Teofimo Lopez fight done
- Leo Santa Cruz can’t afford to take shots from Gervonta Davis
- Eddie Hearn wants Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder 3 cancelled if it’s pushed back to February 2021