Clayton Laurent, Jr. Readies For a Win Over Kenny Cruz Carasquillo
US Virgin Islands heavyweight prospect Clayton Laurent, Jr. is looking to improve his record to 3-0 with a win on December 7th over Kenny Cruz Carasquillo (3-2-1).
The bout was finalized this week through Laurent’s promoter, Lou DiBella of DiBella Entertainment, who has been looking at ways to keep the promising heavyweight active in the ring. Laurent will face Carasquillo at Cancha Ruben Zayas Mantanez in Truillo Alto, Puerto Rico over 4 rounds.
“The opportunity arose to have this fight and Clayton has been in the gym, so we all saw this as an offer too good to refuse,” Laurent’s manager Matt Clark said Friday. “Whilst his opponent does compete usually at Cruiserweight, he’s coming off a very credible upset win against Prince Badi Ajamu, who fought Roy Jones, Jr. Still, that means nothing to Clayton, whose focus is honestly one of his most impressive attributes.”
Laurent has kept up a regimented training routine since his August bout against Sherman Artis, Jr., which he won by technical knockout early in the second round.
“I struggled to get from 330 pounds to 291 pounds this last fight, but since then, I’ve been constantly training to lower my weight and get ready for the next opportunity,” Laurent said. “My upcoming opponent is not someone I’m looking to just get past – it’s someone I’m going through. And while I’m still learning about him, but my team has a plan and I trust they’ll guide me to a win. My goal is to be a world champion, and with a victory on the 7th, that’s what I’ll continue to push for.”
Clark added Friday that the constant competition will help Laurent continue to improve;
“It’s absolutely vital for a young prospect to be constantly competing, to keep learning his craft and since we signed with DiBella Entertainment, Clayton has been active,” Clark said. “I’m looking forward to seeing Clayton’s improvements in each and every contest and this will be no different. It will be tremendous for him to round out the year with a good win and quite possibly inside the distance.
Jack Talks Fitness, Middle East Trips, The Badou Jack Foundation & More
While on his most recent trip to the Middle East this year, two-division world champion Badou Jack took part in an interview and photoshoot with Men’s Health Middle East that is featured in the current issue of the magazine.
The December-January issue hit newsstands on Saturday, December 1 and shows Jack going through his training regimen and discussing his trips to the region, amongst other topics.
“This is my fourth time in the UAE this past year and I love it, it’s like a second home,” said Jack in the magazine. “I like the mix of cultures. There are people from Europe, from the States, from the Arab world, from Africa, Asia, everywhere. There’s no discrimination here.
“People have shown me a lot of love and I think they see I want to be a good role model, not just for other Muslims, but everyone. I’m trying to be the best I can be.”
Jack also delved into his mindset on training with the renowned magazine and mentioned details of what makes up his training camp routine.
“We have it all mapped out from the start, but of course there is a level of flexibility — you have to listen to your body,” Jack told Men’s Health Middle East. “We swim, we run up the mountain we spar 12, 13, 14 rounds, we do sprints, weightlifting. Everything is hard.
“When amateurs ask me for advice I always joke, ‘pick another sport’. You need to have so much patience. From the start of your career, then moving through the ranks. And the training to prepare for each fight — it takes so much time. It takes a lot of blood, sweat and tears.”
As Jack continues to gain acclaim across the world, “The Ripper” looks forward to returning to action in early 2019 while continuing his humanitarian and business efforts outside of the ring.