Mayweather criticizes Canelo about his DAZN deal
By Sean Jones: Floyd Mayweather Jr. doesn’t think too much of Saul Canelo Alvarez’s new 5-year, 11-fight, $365 million deal he signed this week with DAZN.
Mayweather points out that he makes the kind of money that Canelo was given in his 5-year deal with DAZN in just one fight. Mayweather doesn’t see Canelo as coming out ahead in signing for that kind of money over a 5-year period when he can bring home that kind of bread in one fight.
View this post on Instagram
#TBT It didn’t matter if Canelo ate his PED steak or not this night, this was by far the easiest fight of my career! Connor McQuitter was a way better fighter than Canelo's cheating ass and I beat the brakes off him too! It takes me 36 mins or less to make $300 million plus. It literally takes me 1 night and 1 fight to make what you might make in 5 years and 11 fights! So really, who's still winning? You do the math!
Mayweather is really getting at Canelo by ripping him about his positive test for PEDS while training for his rematch with Gennady Golovkin.
It’s hard to disagree with what Mayweather is saying, since he does bring in MONSTROUS money with each and every fight he takes. I don’t know why Canelo signed for such a long-term deal for only $365 million with DAZN. Since Canelo is supposed to be the replacement for Mayweather as the #1 highest paid fighter on the planet, but then he signs for only $365 million.
The boxing public might think that Mayweather is being hostile by launching into what is seemingly an unprovoked attack on Cancelo with his social media post on Thursday, but that’s not the case. Canelo, 28, drew first blood earlier this week when he said that Mayweather wouldn’t want to take the chance to fight him a second time because it would be a tough fight for him now. Mayweather wasn’t going to take that shot lying down without analyzing Canelo’s 11-fight, $365 million deal with DAZN and putting it into perspective and reminding boxing fans about win over the popular Mexican star from five years ago in 2013.
“I don’t think so. He doesn’t want to risk a second fight with me,” Canelo said about a rematch with Mayweather when asked by skysports.com if he thinks that he’ll ever face him again. “You know if he wants to return and have fights, he should return and fight me. It would be tough for him but I know that he wouldn’t want to take that risk,” Canelo said.
Mayweather owns an easy 12 round decision win over Canelo, and you can’t take that away from him. Canelo can say that Mayweather doesn’t want to fight him again all he wants, but the fact of the matter is he already trounced the red-haired star five years ago. Mayweather is the one that gets the last laugh.
More Boxing News:
- Teofimo Lopez reacts to Mayweather fighting Logan Paul
- Eubank Jr wants Canelo, Golovkin, Murata or Jermall title shot
- Logan Paul not denying Floyd Mayweather fight happening
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Gennadiy Golovkin III: Will this fight happen in 2021?
- Fans want Canelo Alvarez to fight in 2020
- Boxing Results: Erickson Lubin decisions Terrell Gausha; Jaron Ennis KOs Abreu
- Boxing Results: Jose Pedraza defeats Javier Molina, Efe Ajagba Decisions Rice
- Daniel Jacobs could face Gabe Rosado or John Ryder in the fall
- Hearn wants Wilder to speak up about Fury fight
- Chisora responds to Usyk while taking body shots from David Haye