Golden Boy gives GGG final 57½-42½ split offer, deadline for Canelo rematch
By Sean Jones: Golden Boy Promotions has given middleweight champion a deadline of 12 noon on Wednesday to accept a 57½-42½ split for a rematch Saul Canelo Alvarez for September 15. If Golovkin (38-0-1, 34 KOs) fail to agree to the offer, Golden Boy president Eric Gomez says they will match Canelo against former WBA middleweight champion Daniel Jacobs in September instead.
Golovkin recently backed down from the 50-50 deal he had been asking for to face Canelo by moving to 55-45. Gomez says the new 42 ½ percent offer to GGG represents Golden Boy meeting him halfway between 60-40 and 55-45. Golden Boy recently increased their 65-35 offer to Golovkin to 60-40 to try and get the fight made. Golo
vkin didn’t agree to the deal, as he felt that he won the first fight last September, and then Canelo tested positive for clenbuterol when the two were getting ready for the rematch. Golovkin is no longer willing to accept the low ball offers from Golden Boy.
“This is final,” Gomez said to ESPN.com about the 57½-42½ purse split offer to Triple G for the Canelo rematch. ”No more playing games; He has until noon (PT) to accept or walk away. If he walks away, good luck to him. [I] told him [Tom Loeffler] you have 24 hours to accept or we are fighting Danny Jacobs,” Gomez said.
It’s a risky move for Golden Boy to match Canelo against Daniel Jacobs. It’s not a given that Canelo wins, even with the same set of judges that worked the Canelo-GGG fight last September. Jacobs knocks out his opponents most of the time. As we saw with Jacobs’ 1st round knockout win over Peter Quillin, all it takes is one big shot for him to stun his opponents and render them defenseless.
Canelo’s popularity will plunge if he loses to Jacobs, and you can forget about the rematch with GGG being a huge blockbuster. I think it would be a mistake for Canelo to fight the 5’11 ½” Daniel Jacobs under any circumstances, because he’s not tall enough at 5’8”.That fight isn’t going to be easy to make either. The offer Golden Boy made to Jacobs is rumored to be an 80-20 split, and that’s already been rejected by Daniel’s promoter Eddie Hearn.
It’s kind of sad that the best offer Gomez and Golden Boy can come up with for Golovkin is a 57½-42½ for a fight that will likely bring in well over 1 million pay-per-view buys. The first Canelo-GGG fight pulled in 1.3 million buys on HBO PPV on September 16, 2017 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Golovkin played a huge part in the fight bringing in over 1 million buys. You could say that Golovkin should accept the 42 ½% split if he hadn’t received such a low 35 percent split for the previous fight against Canelo.
Canelo is under suspension until August 17 because of his 2 positive tests for clenbuterol. The Nevada State Athletic Commission gave Canelo a 6-monh suspension. They didn’t care that Canelo blamed his positive tests on having eaten contaminated beef. Golovkin isn’t happy about Canelo’s two positive tests, the controversial 12 round draw from the first fight, and because he pulled out of their May 5th fight.
More Boxing News:
- Pacquiao can win 9th division title against GGG
- Derevyanchenko’s manager says NO offer yet from Canelo Alvarez’s team
- Anthony Dirrell another option for Canelo Alvarez’s next fight
- Freddie Roach says Pacquiao might want Golovkin next
- Ryota Murata possible for Canelo Alvarez in September
- Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder trilogy possible for Macau or Australia
- Errol Spence: I got three fights left at 147 before going to 154
- Anthony Joshua INJURED, needs 4 to 6 weeks of rest
- Ricky Hatton says he would have BEATEN Mayweather on the night of Tszyu fight
- Ryan Garcia calls out Gervonta Davis for 2020 fight