Jack Catterall: I’ve already passed tougher tests than McKenna
Jack Catterall has dismissed the notion Tyrone McKenna presents the most thorough examination of his world title credentials.
The unbeaten super-lightweights are preparing to collide in a mouth-watering clash on the undercard of Michael Conlan’s homecoming on June 30 – with many viewing the bout as impossible to predict.
World-ranked Catterall (21-0-KO12), however, is supremely confident of retaining his WBO strap against ‘The Mighty Celt’ (16-0-1-KO6).
Catterall said: “Tyrone is not my toughest test to date. I’ve been in tougher fights than this one will be.
“Nathan Brough was a tough amateur and I knocked him out. Tyrone Nurse achieved more than McKenna. Nurse had some good wins and lots of momentum before I fought him.
“I’ve also sparred McKenna myself. I sparred him before my British title fight once or twice. He’s a southpaw and very tall but the way he fights is fine for me.
“The way Tyrone fights, it looks like he’s not shy in coming forward to have a go and that suits me down to the ground. He’s there to be taken out.
“I believe there’s only one winner but I do respect him. I was actually talking to him a couple of weeks before the fight got announced. I hope Belfast gets behind him – they seem to love him.
“I’ll bring some good support with me too. I didn’t get to showcase my improvements at Elland Road but hopefully I will this time round. It’s a huge event coming up in Belfast.”
Catterall v McKenna is just one of a host of huge fights on the night, with Jono Carroll’s long-awaited rematch with Declan Geraghty and Paddy Gallagher v Gary Corcoran, Tyrone McCullagh v Joe Ham and Johnny Coyle v Lewis Benson all competing for limelight.
Stay up to date at mtkglobal.com and on social media @mtkglobal
More Boxing News:
- Frank Warren: A Message To Matchroom Boxing And Sky
- Natasha Jonas vs Terri Harper on Aug. 7, LIVE on DAZN and Sky
- Fiaz vs. Baker on August 7, Live on Sky
- Jono Carroll vs. Maxi Hughes on August 12, Live on ESPN+
- WBC: Mike Tyson’s Return
- Vasily Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez not looking good for Oct.3
- Erislandy Lara fights on August 29 on FOX in Los Angeles
- Devin Haney intrigued by Adrien Broner fight
- Anthony Joshua vs. Kubrat Pulev to fight in December with fans or without
- Leo Santa Cruz plans on burying Tank Davis with pressure on Oct.24