Canelo passes 3rd test for clenbuterol
By Jim Dower: Saul Canelo Alvarez has tested negative for his 3rd consecutive VADA conducted test for the drug clenbuterol, which could potentially get him cleared by the Nevada State Athletic Commission of their investigation and allow him to fight middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin on May 5.
For the 27-year-old Canelo, his third consecutive negative drug test came earlier this week on March 9th. His two previous negative tests were conducted on March 2 and 5. Whether this helps clear Canelo of his positive tests for clenbuterol on February 17 and 20 is unclear. Canelo’s promoters at Golden Boy insist that his positive tests for clenbuterol were the result of contaminated meat.
Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez said to ESPN on Wednesday that Canelo had tested negative for his third consecutive test for clenbuterol. He feels this clears Canelo by proving that his two positive tests last February were the result of meat contamination. However, just because Canelo is testing negative for clenbuterol in his three tests in March, it doesn’t prove that he didn’t use the drug purposefully in February.
There’s no way of proving that Canelo didn’t intentionally use it. His low levels of clenbuterol in on February 17 and 20 could be interpreted by some as him cycling off the drug rather than from him eating contaminated meat. If fighters in the past have been banned for positive tests regardless of what excuse they gave to try and escape punishment, then it could look odd if Canelo is to be cleared by the Commission without being suspended as well. Three negative tests in March for clenbuterol could be seen as Canelo being off the drug. Clenbuterol doesn’t remain in one’s system for a long period of time once a person stops using the drug.
Golovkin is currently training with his coach Abel Sanchez at Big Bear, California. Golovkin is very interested in what the Nevada State Athletic Commission will ultimately determine about Canelo in their investigation. Golovkin (37-0-1, 33 KOs) still wants to fight Canelo, but not if he’s using PEDs and benefiting off of them. It won’t be acceptable to Golovkin if Canelo continues to test positive for clenbuterol.
Canelo, 27, is training in San Diego with his trainers Chepo and Eddy Reynoso. He expects to be cleared by the Commission and given the green light to face Golovkin on May 5th in their rematch at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman believes Canelo’s positive tests for clenbuterol came from meat consumption. Sulaiman isn’t with the Nevada Commission, so it doesn’t matter what his opinion is. He doesn’t have a say in the investigation of Canelo.
Canelo’s positive test for clenbuterol was the first positive test for him since he started being tested 12 fights ago. Some see that as prove that his positive test for the drug came from meat consumption, whereas others view it as proof that he used the drug to get an edge against Golovkin after he struggled against the Kazakhstan fighter last September in being given a controversial 12 round draw.
The low levels of clenbuterol found in Canelo’s two positive tests can be interpreted one of two ways. It can be seen as him having eaten contaminated meat while in Mexico or it can be a sign that he was already cycling off the drug as he started his training camp for the GGG rematch. It’s said that nowadays drug cheats use the drugs before they start training camp, not during it. So, they make sure they are completely off their cycle of the drug before they begin their camps, because that’s when the drug tests typically begin. Canelo testing positive for a low level of the drug clenbuteral isn’t proof that he ate contaminated meat. There’s also no proof that Canelo intentionally used the drug. It’s up to the Nevada Commission to decide. If they want to be strict and penalize Canelo based on him testing positive for the drug no matter what his excuse, then there’s not much he can do.
- VIDEO: Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin – Post Fight Review
- WBA orders Golovkin vs. Lara
- Eddie Hearn talking to Canelo’s team about Bivol rematch in 2023
- David Benavidez blasts Canelo Alvarez for not fighting him