Smith vs Holzken press conference in Nuremberg
WBC Diamond Champion Callum Smith (23-0, 17 KOs) and Nieky Holzken (13-0, 10 KOs) exchanged words of confidence and went head to head at the press conference before their Ali Trophy Semi-Final on Saturday in Nuremberg.
(Photo credit: World Boxing Super Series)
“I came here to book a place in the final,” said 27-year-old Smith. “I have had a really good camp, and I have improved on stuff from the last fight and people will see a better performance from me. People will see that I am good enough to win the tournament.”
“I just want to win, win well and look good doing it.”
Asked if it is motivating for him to have George Groves watching Saturday’s fight from ringside, Smith responded.
“Yeah, it’s motivating. I always knew from the start of the tournament that there was a massive opportunity that George would be waiting in the final. But for now I am fully focused on Nieky, and then I can talk more about Groves after the fight.”
Substitute fighter Nieky Holzken, the undefeated Dutch super middleweight, and former world kickboxing champion joined the quest for the Ali Trophy at the semi-final stage following the withdrawal of veteran German fighter Juergen Braehmer with illness.
The 34-year-old has been bold in the build-up stating he is entering the tournament ‘to take over’, and he continued on the positive path at the press conference.
“It is great to be here,” said Holzken. “My life has been like a rollercoaster the last days. I was preparing to fight Dmitrii Chudinov, and on Monday I got the call that Juergen Braehmer was out. So this is a lifetime opportunity, and I will take the opportunity with both hands. I’m ready!”
“Callum is a good fighter and respectful guy. But I am a big believer and I believe I can get the victory on Saturday. I am going to do my best to beat him and my best to win the whole tournament.”
Tickets for the Ali Trophy semi-final Smith-Holzken at the Arena Nürnberger Versicherung are available at eventim.de.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing Results: Jamal James defeats Thomas Dulorme
- Boxing Results: Terri Harper and Natasha Jonas fight to a 10-round draw
- Fox Sports and PBC announce blockbuster schedule for 2020
- Jose Ramirez vs. Viktor Postol on August 29 LIVE on ESPN+
- McCaskill: Beating Braekhus Leads To More Mega-Fights
- Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr postponed until November 28
- Jay Harris: “Martinez Fight Announced Me on The Big Stage”
- Erislandy Lara vs. Greg Vendetti on August 29 on Fox
- Froch says Mike Tyson could gas after 4 rounds against Roy Jones Jr
- Ryan Garcia’s adviser returns fire at Bob Arum over criticism