Wanheng Menayothin ties Rocky Marciano’s record
World Boxing Council minimumweight champion, Thai Wanheng Menayothin, successfully defended his crown for the eighth time, defeating Japanese contender Tatsuya Fukuhara, by UD in Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand.
With this victory, Meenayothin further improves his record to 49-0, with 17 knockouts, tying the unbeaten tally of Rocky Marciano, needing just one more victory to equal Floyd Mayweather Jr (50-0).
Menayothin, who fought more than 200 amateur fights, has a long history with the WBC. He won the minimumweight youth world title in March 2007, successfully defending it 8 times, then he won the WBC international title in December 2009, making 12 successful defenses.
The moment of his consecration as WBC champion came on November 6, 2014, when he won the minimumweight world crown.
That afternoon in Bangkok, Menayothin defeated the tough former Mexican champion Osvaldo “Gallito” Novoa. After 9 rounds of give and take, the Mexican was not able to continue and his corner threw in the towel.
The 50th Wanheng fight will be a historic event in Thailand, so General Kovid Bhakdibhumi, Vice President of the WBC and President of the ABCO (Asian Boxing Council), together with the country’s Minister of Sport , are preparing a big celebration.
For the WBC, Menayothin, whose birth name is Chayaphon Moonsri has majestically and brilliantly evolved, becoming a model champion inside and outside the ring.
More Boxing News:
- Shakur Stevenson and Jessie Magdaleno to Headline June Cards
- Ricky Burns still has ‘a year or two left’ of remarkable story
- CES Boxing & Boston Boxing Offer Mike Tyson $1,000,000
- BT Sport new boxing series: What Went Down
- Dillian Whyte and Francis Ngannou meet in press conference on Saturday
- Golovkin prefers Kamil Szeremeta over Canelo trilogy
- Tim Bradley says Shakur Stevenson could be the successor to Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- Errol Spence doesn’t want a tune-up, targeting Pacquiao, Crawford and Danny Garcia
- Eddie Hearn doubts injured Deontay Wilder will be ready to face Fury this year
- Chocolatito vs. Estrada 2, Haney vs. Campbell & Prograis vs. Hooker in July or August in U.S