Mayweather: I’m not fighting no more
By Allan Fox: Floyd Mayweather Jr. says he WON’T be making a comeback to the sport of boxing. The 40-year-old Mayweather (50-0, 26 KOs) wanted to discuss the rumors that were floated by a website that posted a video this week saying that he might comeback. Mayweather says he’s happy in his retirement, and he has zero plans on returning to the sport.
If Mayweather were to return to boxing, there’s nobody for him to fight that will give him his 9-figure payday aside from Saul Canelo Alvarez and Manny Pacquiao. Mayweather already beat both of those guys, and it’s questionable how much interest the boxing public would have in paying to see needless rematches.
The only other guy that Mayweather could fight for him to potentially get another $100 million payday is UFC star Conor McGregor, but the two of them already sold an under-performing dull event last August.
Trying to sell a second fight would be a risk. The boxing and MMA wouldn’t be ready to be fooled again by another dud so soon, especially Mayweather and McGregor doing nothing to keep their respective careers alive. McGregor still hasn’t returned to his MMA sport, and it’s unclear if he ever will. Mayweather left boxing in 2015, and he’s fought no true professional fights since then, unless you count McGregor.
“I’m happily retired. I’m not fighting no more, no matter what the price is,” said Mayweather to Fighthype.com.
Middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin’s trainer Abel Sanchez believes that with Mayweather’s huge ego, he’ll look to undercut the rematch between Golovkin and Canelo by staging one of his fights just ahead of it so he can upstage the fight like he did last August. Mayweather scheduled his event fight against McGregor 3 weeks ahead of the previously scheduled September 16 contest between Canelo and Golovkin in Las Vegas.
Sanchez says he can see Mayweather doing the same thing so that he can keep himself relevant. Canelo and Golovkin are expected to fight each other on May 5. So, if Mayweather is going to try and upstage that fight, then he’s going to need to pick out someone soon and start hyping the fight. The problem is if Mayweather announced his fight now, then Canelo and Golovkin will be able to move their fight date to September next year to avoid being undercut a second time.
”It’s just like Floyd to step in front of a proposed event, could be messing with the rematch,” said Sanchez to RingTV.com.
We’ll have to see if Mayweather chooses to undercut the Canelo-GGG fight again. But what could prevent that from happening is Mayweather’s high price tag for coming back. He only wants to make $100 million per fight, and he’s probably not going to get that kind of money in re-tread fights with Canelo, Pacquiao or McGregor. The boxing public paid to see those fights already and all of them were dull affairs, with Mayweather fighting in a safety first manner for 12 rounds.
- Was It A Good Idea for Floyd to Fight MMA’s McGregor?
- Augie “Kid Vegas” Sanchez: One of the Last to Defeat Floyd Mayweather!
- Floyd Mayweather reacts to De La Hoya not attending Tank Davis vs. Ryan Garcia post-fight press conference
- Let’s Take a Look at the Career of Floyd “Money” Mayweather, Jr.!