Groves, Cox at Wembley Arena on Saturday night
The word from the gym is George Groves has turned the clock back ahead of his World Boxing Super Series clash with Jamie Cox at Wembley Arena on Saturday night.
Groves also puts his WBA Super world super-middleweight title on the line in a fight screened on ITV Box Office and to prepare for his first defence, the 29 year old has been sparring unbeaten southpaw Lerrone Richards.
Richards first sparred Groves a couple of years ago – and says much has changed since then.
“I have done a lot of rounds with George for this fight,” said the 25 year old South Londoner who regards himself as the best prospect in Britain.
“We’ve been doing six, eight and 10 round spars to prepare and he’s nice and sharp.
“The jab has always been phenomenal, but he’s doing other little things that he used to do when he was with Adam Booth.
“George was a quality fighter then, but then he changed trainers and for me, he went back a bit.
“Now he’s with Shane McGuigan, he seems to have found himself again. He is back to where he was.”
Richards, rumoured to be fighting Midlands gatekeeper Jahmaine Smyle next in what’s a significant step up in class, also says Groves is more content now that he’s finally captured the world title.
Groves won the belt at the fourth attempt in May, stopping Fedor Chudinov in six rounds at Sheffield United’s Bramall Lane ground.
“I sparred George a couple of years ago when he had just joined Shane McGuigan and he’s a different fighter now,” said Richards.
“He seems to have a different attitude now.
“He is happier, he is in a good place now. He seems to be enjoying boxing more. Perhaps he was putting too much pressure on himself before, but now he seems much more relaxed and is getting in there and doing what he does. He has achieved his dream and I think we are going to see a very good George Groves on Saturday night.”
More Boxing News:
- Angelo Leo vs. Stephen Fulton Jr – weights and quotes
- Jessica McCaskill vs. Cecelia Brækhus added to Chocolatito vs. Estrada 2 card on March 13th
- Caleb Plant media conference call quotes
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng live on DAZN on March 12
- Vergil Ortiz Jr vs. Maurice Hooker moving to March 20th
- Canelo Alvarez a massive 20 to 1 favorite over Avni Yildirim
- Mikey Garcia open to fighting Devin Haney, wants Hearn to call him
- Ryan Garcia finalizing his huge “mega-fight” this week