Danny Roman Fights Shun Kubo on Sept. 3
Top world title contender Danny Roman (22-2-1, 8 KOs) arrived in Japan earlier this week for his WBA Super Bantamweight Championship showdown with unbeaten champion Shun Kubo (12-0, 9 KOs).
The 12-round world championship fight is promoted by Shinsei Boxing Gym, in association with Thompson Boxing Promotions and is set for Sunday, Sept. 3, from the Shimazu Arena in Kyoto.
Roman is currently conducting the final days of his training camp in Kobe, Japan, roughly 45 miles southwest of Kyoto.
“This is the fight that everyone wants,” said Roman, who is based in Los Angeles. “It’s a fight that you’ve trained your entire career for so I recognize that this opportunity is rare. At the end of the day, I have to prove to everyone that I’m championship material. I have to go out and deliver a beating to Kubo.”
“We’ve been watching Danny’s training camp very closely before he left for Japan,” said Ken Thompson, president of Thompson Boxing. “He looks ready to step up to the biggest challenge of his career. We have no doubt that he will return to Los Angeles as a world champion.”
“He’s been sparring 14 rounds in camp with enough left in the tank for three more,” said Alex Camponovo, matchmaker and general manager for Thompson Boxing. “Danny is in tremendous shape and his focus and motivation have never been better. He’s ready for his championship moment.”
Kubo, who is a tall southpaw, arrived at this point by dethroning Venezuela’s Nehomar Cermeno after ten rounds back in April. Roman, on the other hand, knocked out the highly ranked Adam Lopez in the ninth round in a WBA title eliminator in January.
Photo Credit: Jason Robles
For more information, please visit ThompsonBoxing.com.
For regular updates on our fighters, events, and promotions, please check our Facebook Page, watch our YouTube channel on Thompson Boxing TV, and follow us on Instagram and Twitter @ThompsonBoxing.
Danny Roman getting in his road work in Kobe, Japan
Danny Roman at Friday’s first sparring session in Kobe, Japan
Team Roman at LAX airport prior to their departure to Japan
Danny Roman arrived in Japan with immediate media responsibilities
PHOTO CREDIT: JASON ROBLES
More Boxing News:
- Katie Taylor vs. Miriam Gutierrez Nov. 14 Undercard Update
- Cruz vs Davis: Leo Santa Cruz virtual media workout quotes & photos
- Diego Pacheco faces Juan Antonio Mendez this Friday, Oct.23 on DAZN
- Mark Heffron vs. Denzel Bentley rematch on Nov.13
- Marshall Vs. Rankin added to Oleksandr Usyk vs. Derek Chisora card
- Hearn talks Jermall Charlo vs. Demetrius Andrade
- Jaime Munguia ready to fight Gennady Golovkin in 2021
- Teofimo wants Ryan Garcia, Tank, and Haney to prove themselves worthy to face him
- Tyson Fury’s shortlist: Kabayel and Takam for Dec.5 in London
- Teofimo Lopez not interested in Vasily Lomachenko rematch