Liam Smith confident of victory over Liam Williams
Former WBO Super-Welterweight boss Liam Smith says his mouth-watering matchup with undefeated British Champion Liam Williams is far from a 50-50 fight. Smith and Williams lock horns at the Manchester Arena on Saturday 8th April, live on BT Sport and BoxNation.
The bookmakers are struggling to split the pair. Most bookies price ‘Beefy’ as the 5/6 favorite, with Williams only marginally longer at even-money. The shortest odds available on Smith are 8/11, with 11/10 on offer for a Williams win, a price that will surely tempt plenty of the Clydach Vale faithful.
Scouse warrior Smith is determined to prove his doubters wrong.
“A lot of people are going to look silly when this fight is over,” said Smith. “I’m confident on my behalf that this is not a 50-50 fight.
“I’m doing everything that I have always done – I haven’t changed a thing. Liam and his team have changed everything. Everything they are doing is new to them, don’t be surprised if they leave it all in the gym.
“I think they are panicking because they know they are in a fight. They are trying to cover everything. I saw he was doing 18 rounds over two days around six or seven weeks out from the fight. That isn’t what Liam and Gary Lockett are usually like.
“After the fight everyone will see why I should have been the clear favorite. Believe me, I’m going to beat Liam Williams.”
Smith vs. Williams is part of an unmissable evening of action on April 8th; local hero Terry Flanagan makes the fifth defence of his WBO World Lightweight crown against dangerous Russian Petr Petrov; double Olympic Gold Medallist and women’s boxing icon Nicola Adams OBE fights for the first time as a professional and former Team GB Heavyweight monster Daniel Dubois makes his highly-anticipated professional debut.
Tickets for April 8 priced £50, £70, £100, £150, £200, £300 and VIP £500 are available from eventim at www.eventim.co.uk and 0844 249 1000 and the Manchester Arena at www.manchester-arena.com and 0844 847 8000.
More Boxing News:
- WBSS Cruiserweight Final to be shown live on BILDplus in Germany
- Boxing Results: Jose Pedraza defeats Javier Molina, Efe Ajagba Decisions Rice
- Results / Photos: Lubin beats Gausha to earn rematch with Jermell Charlo
- Charles Conwell vs. Wendy Toussaint on October 7 on Showtime
- Zhang Zhilei signs with Matchroom Boxing
- Boxing Results: Erickson Lubin decisions Terrell Gausha; Jaron Ennis KOs Abreu
- Daniel Jacobs could face Gabe Rosado or John Ryder in the fall
- Hearn wants Wilder to speak up about Fury fight
- Chisora responds to Usyk while taking body shots from David Haye
- Daniel Dubois vs. Joyce Joyce expected to be moved to new date