Joe Gallagher talks Smith vs Williams
2015 Ring Magazine Trainer of the Year Joe Gallagher says Gary Lockett would rather be in Liam Smith’s corner if his mouth-watering showdown with undefeated British Champion Liam Williams descends into a war.
Former WBO Super-Welterweight Champion Smith and rising Welsh star Williams clash in one of the most eagerly-anticipated domestic dustups in recent times at the Manchester Arena on Saturday 8th April, live on BT Sport and BoxNation.
Liverpool’s Smith might have conceded his World Title strap and unbeaten tag to Mexican megastar ‘Canelo’ Alvarez in Texas last September, but his coach insists that ‘Beefy’ is still frothing to re-assert his domestic dominance at 154lbs.
“Gary was a good fighter as an amateur and a good fighter as a pro,” said Gallagher. “He’s a great young coach and is hungry for success. He is willing to learn and wanting to learn. I don’t see it as a rivalry between us.
“If they think they are going to be able to beat Liam Smith and become a Canelo Alvarez overnight – that isn’t going to happen. If they think Liam Smith is damaged goods and is unmotivated after a big pay day – they couldn’t be more wrong.
“We’ve got two fighters. I’m sure he’s very confident in Liam Williams – I’m very confident in Liam Smith. But I know deep down if we’re going into a war, Lockett would rather be in Smith’s corner than Williams’.”
Smith vs. Williams is part of an unmissable evening of action on April 8th; local hero Terry Flanagan makes the fifth defence of his WBO World Lightweight crown against dangerous Russian Petr Petrov; double Olympic Gold Medallist and women’s boxing icon Nicola Adams OBE fights for the first time as a professional and former Team GB Heavyweight monster Daniel Dubois makes his highly-anticipated professional debut.
Tickets for April 8 priced £50, £70, £100, £150, £200, £300 and VIP £500 are available from eventim at www.eventim.co.uk and 0844 249 1000 and the Manchester Arena at www.manchester-arena.com and 0844 847 8000.
More Boxing News:
- Jack Culcay takes on Abass Baraou in Berlin, Germany on Aug. 28
- British Boxing: Fight Night Boxing Schedules Announced
- Boxing Results: Jose Pedraza Dominates LesPierre
- Statements from A. Serrano and manager regarding a demand from Eddie Hearn
- Zepeda vs. Castaneda & Takam vs. Forrest on week 5 of ESPN summer series
- Hearn against letting Tony Bellew make a comeback
- Chris Eubank Jr: I’m looking to DESTROY Canelo
- Amir Khan to Marcos Maidana: “Let’s do it again”
- Eubank Jr gives his theory on WHY Saunders didn’t take Canelo Alvarez fight
- Emanuel Navarrete wants Naoya Inoue, believes he’ll beat him