Skoglund ready for Shala: ‘’I feel stronger than ever!’
Erik Skoglund (25-0, 11 KOs) believes he is in the best possible shape as he approaches his WBA International Light Heavyweight Championship clash with Timy Shala (21-1-1, 8 KOs) on Friday, December 9 at the Rosvalla Arena in Nyköping, Sweden.
The 25 year-old has just returned from a three-week warm weather training camp in Torrevieja, Spain, and will now complete the final stages of his preparations at home in Nyköping. Having swapped the snow and sleet of Sweden for the sun and sea of the Spanish costal town, Skoglund credits his time abroad with helping him reach optimum condition for his fight with ‘The Albanian Bomber’.
‘’It was good to spend this time away to really focus on my training,’’ he said. ‘’There is a great gym in Torrevieja, tough sparring and of course, the weather is lot nicer there than in Sweden. I’ve trained there before in between fights, but this is the first time I’ve come for a full training camp, and I can really feel the benefit. Although, I am happy to now be back home.’’
‘’I’ve had some great sparring with Mariano Hilario, the current EBU-EU Super Middleweight Champion, he is a very skilled fighter and quick too, and now, I’m back in Nyköping, I’ve brought in another sparring partner to mix it up.
‘’I’ve also been following a strict training programme set by my strength and conditioning coach David Wahlgren. He’s been a big help for me since recovering from my back injury, and I know if I follow his advice, I’ll be in top shape on December 9.’’
In 2015, Skoglund underwent a serious back operation to repair a herniated disc, but having been able to put this injury behind him, the 25 year-old says his fitness is now better than ever.
‘’I think I’m reaching new levels with my fitness all the time,’’ he says. ‘’After my injury there were certain things I couldn’t do, or had to be careful of. I wasn’t able to push myself to the limit, but now, there is nothing I can’t do, and I feel stronger than ever!’’
Erik Skoglund faces Timy Shala for the WBA International Light Heavyweight title on December 9 at the Rosvalla Arena in Nyköping. Tickets are available online via http://www.biljettforum.se or by calling 0771-130 150.
All the action will be shown live and exclusive in Scandinavia on Viaplay Fighting. For more information please visit http://www.viaplay.se.
More Boxing News:
- Results / Photos: Sergey Lipinets and Clayton fight to majority draw
- Dave Allen vs. Christopher Lovejoy on Oct.31 on Usyk-Chisora card on DAZN
- Video: Gervonta Davis vs. Leo Santa Cruz – All Access Episode 2
- Derek Chisora says Usyk is in store for the “fright of his life”
- Saunders Vs. Murray Lands On December 4 in London
- Boxing Results: Sergey Lipinets and Custio Clayton ends in 12-round draw
- Devin Haney reacts to Mayweather saying “too many belts”
- Hearn says Glowacki- Okolie and Ryder-Lemieux possible for Joshua-Pulev card on Dec.12
- Gervonta Davis: Teofimo Lopez’s win over Lomachenko wasn’t convincing
- Tyson Fury reaffirms he’s fighting on December 5th in London