Manuel Mendez, Fresh off his KO Win on Showtime, Signs with Thompson Boxing Promotions
Thompson Boxing Promotions signed rising lightweight prospect Manuel Mendez (13-1-2, 9 KOs) to an exclusive promotional deal, the Southern California-based promoter announced today.
The two sides, which had a tentative deal in place for several weeks, made it official by signing contracts Monday inside the corporate offices of Thompson Boxing in Orange, Calif.
“It’s a big load off my shoulders to sign with Thompson Boxing,” said Manuel Mendez, who is trained by Joel Diaz and managed by Ernesto Torres. “It was a proud moment for myself and my team.”
“Manuel has a fan friendly style,” said Ken Thompson, president and founder of Thompson Boxing Promotions. “Fans love watching him come forward and go after knockouts.”
Thompson Boxing began featuring Mendez on its monthly Southern California boxing cards beginning in August of 2015. He was matched against quality opposition and delivered on every occasion.
“He was knocking everyone out,” said Alex Camponovo, matchmaker and general manager at Thompson Boxing Promotions. “Manuel is an exceptional puncher that has the ability to wear down opponents.”
“I’m dedicated to the sport and Alex and Ken understand that,” said Mendez, nicknamed “La Tormenta,” which translates to “The Storm.” “They know every time I step into the ring that I’m going to be ready to win. I think that’s what got their attention. That and I stopped a lot of the opponents they put in front of me.”
Mendez, an Oregon native that resides in Indio, Calif., looked sensational in his last outing, which also happened to be his television debut. Mendez registered a one-punch, 2:32 first round knockout over the previously undefeated Vitor Jones Freitas on SHOWTIME (Friday, Nov. 4).
“I noticed he wasn’t covering up very well so I was patient with my punches,” Mendez, 26, said after the fight. “When I landed the body shot, I thought he would get up, but he was clearly hurt.”
For more information, please visit ThompsonBoxing.com.
For regular updates on our fighters, events, and promotions, please check our Facebook Page, find us on Google+ and follow us on Instagram and Twitter @ThompsonBoxing.
More Boxing News:
- Oscar De La Hoya presents Joshua Franco his WBA 115-lb title
- Cecilia Brækhus defends against Jessica McCaskill this Saturday, Aug.15 on DAZN
- Jason Welborn vs Felix Cash on Aug. 14, Live on DAZN & Sky
- Whyte Povetkin Undercard Update
- Jono Carroll vs. Maxi Hughes on August 12, Live on ESPN+
- Arum has Kell Brook as Crawford’s Plan-B if no Pacquiao fight
- Emanuel Navarrete vs. Jessie Magdaleno on Oct.17th/24th for vacant WBO 126lb title
- Naoya Inoue vs. Jason Moloney in the works for ESPN/ESPN+
- Tyson Fury won’t be fighting Dillian Whyte in 2021 says Warren
- Luke Campbell vs. Ryan Garcia have reached an agreement for November fight on DAZN