Guard’s Up: Belfast Boxing Film Announced
Brand new Northern Irish production company Honesty Inc has announced its first film project – a boxing film written by and starring The Fall’s Bronagh Taggart – will go into production in 2017.
The film, titled Guard and scheduled to shoot in Belfast early next year, boasts an award- winning team, including BAFTA winner Michael Lennox, who was nominated for an Oscar for his short film Boogaloo and Graham in 2015.
And although Bronagh Taggart penned much of BBCNI’s 6 Degrees and has written hours of television for numerous shows since, this is the first time she has written a role with herself in mind:
“It felt empowering to write something that I knew I was going to not only act in, but play the lead. I was also aware that I was writing a story that was going to push me emotionally and physically. I like to challenge myself, and this role will demand something from me that I’ve never attempted before”.
Also involved is multiple Emmy-award winning casting director, Robert Sterne, who is credited with casting lead roles in hits such as Game of Thrones and Wolf Hall. Most recently, the team have added former The Voice contestant Leah McFall, who will provide music for the film.
Guard will be directed by Taggart’s husband, Belfast actor Jonathan Harden, who is currently filming Stephen Frears’ Victoria & Abdul, opposite Judi Dench. Although, his acting CV boasts credits with Ralph Fiennes, David Oyelowo, Kristin Scott Thomas, and Derek Jacobi, directing Guard will be his first time behind the camera.
“I feel like I’ve served my apprenticeship and at 37, I’m ready to take up the reins. To be doing that in partnership with my wife feels even more significant. Nobody has watched Bronagh act more than I have. I’ve seen every performance she has given, always several times. She is very good at what she does; in GUARD, there is no reason why she can’t be the best she has even been. And to be part of that is hugely exciting.”
A campaign to find the remaining money to make Guard launches today on crowdfunding site Indiegogo. For more info, or to back the film, visit www.belfastboxingfilm.com
More Boxing News:
- Shakur Stevenson and Jessie Magdaleno to Headline June Cards
- Ricky Burns still has ‘a year or two left’ of remarkable story
- CES Boxing & Boston Boxing Offer Mike Tyson $1,000,000
- BT Sport new boxing series: What Went Down
- Dillian Whyte and Francis Ngannou meet in press conference on Saturday
- Golovkin prefers Kamil Szeremeta over Canelo trilogy
- Tim Bradley says Shakur Stevenson could be the successor to Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- Errol Spence doesn’t want a tune-up, targeting Pacquiao, Crawford and Danny Garcia
- Eddie Hearn doubts injured Deontay Wilder will be ready to face Fury this year
- Chocolatito vs. Estrada 2, Haney vs. Campbell & Prograis vs. Hooker in July or August in U.S