Team Shumenov responds to Lebedev vs. Gassiev world title fight announcement
Team Shumenov believes it is worth reviewing recent history en light of the recent announcement that World Boxing Association Super/IBF cruiserweight world champion Denis Lebedev will defend against Murat Gassiev in late November or early December in Russia: A condition for allowing Lebedev to fight International Boxing Federation cruiserweight champion Victor Emilio Ramirez on May 21, 2016 was that Lebedev had to fight WBA cruiserweight world champion Beibut Shumenov within 120 days. (Lebedev hasn’t made a mandatory defense since April 10, 2015.) Shumenov has done everything to make that fight, while Lebedev has done nothing but run from his mandatory title fight. When it first became obvious in June that Lebedev was trying to avoid his mandated WBA title fight, Shumenov repeatedly requested that the WBA order a purse bid.
Lebedev ignored the WBA and then recently sought, after the WBA deadline had passed, a special permit allowing him to fight Gassiev, which Shumenov officially objected to within 48 hours. WBA Interim cruiserweight world champion Yunier Dorticos has also objected. At this present time, though, Team Shumenov is still waiting to hear the WBA’s ruling in terms of stripping Lebedev if he decides to fight Gassiev instead of Shumenov.
It really is very simple. Shumenov wants to fight Lebedev, who is doing everything he can to avoid it. If Lebedev doesn’t care to meet his obligations and conditions of his prior special permit, he should relinquish his title. Lebedev and his people need to rejoin the rest of us in the real world and stop claiming that Shumenov has not been pushing for this fight.
According to a recent report, Lebedev’s camp members erroneously reported that, “Shumenov is not exactly pushing the issue” (to fight Lebedev next).
Fans may friend Beibut Shumenov on his Facebook Fan Page at www.facebook.com/BeibutShumenov.
More Boxing News:
- Frank Warren: A Message To Matchroom Boxing And Sky
- Natasha Jonas vs Terri Harper on Aug. 7, LIVE on DAZN and Sky
- Fiaz vs. Baker on August 7, Live on Sky
- Jono Carroll vs. Maxi Hughes on August 12, Live on ESPN+
- WBC: Mike Tyson’s Return
- Vasily Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez not looking good for Oct.3
- Erislandy Lara fights on August 29 on FOX in Los Angeles
- Devin Haney intrigued by Adrien Broner fight
- Anthony Joshua vs. Kubrat Pulev to fight in December with fans or without
- Leo Santa Cruz plans on burying Tank Davis with pressure on Oct.24