HBO World Championship Boxing this Saturday Live from Oakland: Ward vs. Brand
HBO Boxing heads back to the Bay Area when WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING: ANDRE WARD VS. ALEXANDER BRAND is seen SATURDAY, AUG. 6 at 10:35 p.m. (live ET/tape-delayed PT) from Oracle Arena in Oakland, Cal., exclusively on HBO. The HBO Sports team of Jim Lampley, Max Kellerman, Bernard Hopkins and Harold Lederman will call the action, which will be available in HDTV, closed-captioned for the hearing-impaired and presented in Spanish on HBO Latino.
Other HBO playdates: Aug. 7 (9:45 a.m.) and 8 (12:05 a.m.)
HBO2 playdate: Aug. 7 (4:45 p.m.)
The fight will also be available on HBO NOW, HBO GO and HBO On Demand.
Returning to his hometown, Andre Ward (29-0, 15 KOs) continues to pursue dominance in the 175-pound weight class, taking on Alexander Brand (25-1, 19 KOs) from Bogota, Columbia in a light heavyweight bout scheduled for 12 rounds. Originally slated for last November, the fight was postponed when Ward sustained an injury in training.
Ward, 32, has succeeded at every level, compiling a near-perfect record as an amateur, winning a gold medal in the light heavyweight division at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens and enjoying a seven-year reign as super middleweight champ. He looked superb against challenger Sullivan Barrera in his 2016 debut last March, registering a unanimous decision victory. This will mark Ward’s seventh fight at Oracle Arena and sixth appearance on HBO. If he scores a victory, Ward is expected to seek another world title by fighting light heavyweight champ Sergey Kovalev in the fall.
Brand turned professional at age 32 after racking up more than 400 wins as an amateur. Now 39, he won his first 17 pro fights, 12 by knockout, and has been on an eight-victory run following his only ring loss, in 2012.
Follow HBO boxing news at hbo.com/boxing, on Facebook at facebook.com/hboboxing and on Twitter at twitter.com/hboboxing.
All HBO boxing events are presented in HDTV. HBO viewers must have access to the HBO HDTV channel to watch HBO programming in high definition.
The executive producer of WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING is Rick Bernstein; producer, Jon Crystal; director, Johnathan Evans.
More Boxing News:
- Oscar De La Hoya presents Joshua Franco his WBA 115-lb title
- Cecilia Brækhus defends against Jessica McCaskill this Saturday, Aug.15 on DAZN
- Jason Welborn vs Felix Cash on Aug. 14, Live on DAZN & Sky
- Whyte Povetkin Undercard Update
- Jono Carroll vs. Maxi Hughes on August 12, Live on ESPN+
- Arum has Kell Brook as Crawford’s Plan-B if no Pacquiao fight
- Emanuel Navarrete vs. Jessie Magdaleno on Oct.17th/24th for vacant WBO 126lb title
- Naoya Inoue vs. Jason Moloney in the works for ESPN/ESPN+
- Tyson Fury won’t be fighting Dillian Whyte in 2021 says Warren
- Luke Campbell vs. Ryan Garcia have reached an agreement for November fight on DAZN