Errol Spence Jr. Delivers Knockout Performance: +6 Million Viewers
ERROL SPENCE JR. DELIVERS KNOCKOUT PERFORMANCE: +6 MILLION VIEWERS ON PREMIER BOXING CHAMPIONS ON NBC SUNDAY AFTERNOON
Rising Star Stops Leonard Bundu for Title Shot;
Post Highest Rating for Boxing on Television in 2016
LAS VEGAS (August 23, 2016) – Errol “The Truth” Spence Jr.’s sensational sixth-round knockout of Leonard Bundu delivered over +6 million viewers during his Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) on NBC fight this Sunday, according to Nielsen. Following the broadcast of the 2016 U.S. Olympic men’s basketball team’s gold medal-winning performance, Spence Jr.’s fight posted a peak audience of 6.34 million viewers and averaged 4.8 million viewers for the entire hour. This fight is the highest-rated PBC fight to-date.
(Photo credit: Ryan Greene/Premier Boxing Champions)
Spence-Bundu drew the largest television audience for boxing in 18 years (August 21, 2016 vs. March 23, 1998).
“I knew this would be the most important fight of my career and the goal was to not just win, but to put on a spectacular one-sided performance,” said Spence Jr. “It felt good to go out there and give everyone watching a great show and to do it in front of such a large television audience makes it even better. Thanks to everyone who tuned in and I promise you’ll be seeing more of me soon. My time is now and this is just the beginning.”
The Dallas boxer’s sixth-round knockout victory over Bundu ensures that he will fight for the world title currently held by British welterweight Kell Brook.
With his power, pinpoint accuracy and desire to close the show, Spence Jr. is squarely in the mix as a top welterweight in the most talent-laden division in boxing. As a young, hungry contender circling champions like Keith Thurman, Danny Garcia and Brook, Spence’s presence adds to the tantalizing possibility of super fights in the welterweight division harkening to the days of Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns and Roberto Duran.
About Premier Boxing Champions
About Premier Boxing Champions
Premier Boxing Champions is a live boxing series created for TV and cable by Haymon Boxing. The series features the greatest array of international boxing talent in all weight divisions, with fighters representing over 10 countries including the United States and Mexico. From former Olympians to Champions of all nationalities, the series can be seen on over ten networks in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and the U.K., and heard on Sirius/XM satellite radio as well.
More Boxing News:
- Sergey Lipinets vs. Custio Clayton zoom media quotes for Oct.31
- Javier Fortuna faces Antonio Lozada on Nov.21 on FS1
- Regis Prograis talks Juan Heraldez fight on Oct.31
- Tyson vs Jones Jr. live on FITE TV – Nov. 28
- Gervonta Davis Virtual Media Workout Quotes And Photos – Davis vs Santa Cruz
- Arum doubts Wilder’s manager Shelly Finkel read contract for Fury trilogy
- Carl Froch: Kell Brook is cashing out against Terence Crawford on Nov.14
- Chisora: Oleksandr Usyk will get Fright of his life on October 31st
- Mayweather diminishes Lomachenko’s credentials following loss to Teofimo
- Haye says Whyte in denial about his knockout loss