Postol vs. Crawford to fight for Ring Magazine belt
By Gerardo Granados: This Saturday on July 23 at the MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, light welter WBC titlist Victor Postol and WBO titlist Terence Crawford will not only try to unify, but also the winner will get the prestigious Ring Magazine light welterweight Championship belt.
Currently the light welterweight Ring Magazine belt is vacant, and according to the Ring Magazine rules to fulfill the vacancies, when the ranked number one (Postol) and number two (Crawford) fight each other the winner can be awarded the Championship belt.
So, this Saturday we the fight fans will have the chance to know the name of the fighter who will continue a large boxing tradition, adding his name to an exclusive list of previous champions: Duilio Loi, Eddie Perkins, Carlos Hernandez, Sandro Lopopolo, Takeshi Fuji, Nicolino Locche, Alfonso Frazer, Antonio Cervantes, Wilfred Benitez, Aaron Pryor, Kostya Tszyu, Ricky Hatton, Manny Pacquiao and Danny Garcia.
I asked to The RingTV.com Editor Douglas Fisher if the belt was on the line for the winner of Postol versus Crawford and he confirmed to me that the belt is on the line and that he had just handed the belt to Editor Michael Rosenthal who will be on ring side next Saturday.
A good competitive fight between two undefeated prime titlist; maybe the betting odds favor Postol but I will not write off Crawford, because this is the most important fight for both lions. The winner will move on to better things and the loser will stay wondering what went wrong.
I don’t think Terence has the inside game to trouble Postol, so I am betting on Postol to win by split decision in a boxing chess match. I believe there will be enough action throughout the fight to keep all fight fans interested. The key factor in this contest is Postol´s chin and stamina, but I wonder if Terence will be able to deal with Postol´s longer reach and height or if Crawford will be able to outsmart Victor in the early rounds to build an early lead on points. The way I see it Postol will use his jab to control the tempo and distance, and will fight at long range to constantly counter Crawford the same way he did against Lucas Matthysse.
I am inviting friends over to watch a good fight next Saturday night, but what about the readers, are you too?
More Boxing News:
- Terence Crawford only wants “the easy fights” – Ray Robinson
- Roy Jones Jr: Errol Spence must beat Terence Crawford to prove he’s the best
- Terence Crawford needs several more wins before Errol Spence fight
- Kell Brook calls out Terence Crawford for November 2020
- Arum approached by Kell Brook for Terence Crawford fight
- Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder 3 being moved to February 2021
- Danny Garcia beats Errol Spence predicts Jaron Ennis’ coach Acosta
- Jorge Linares tests positive for coronavirus
- Fury vs. Wilder 3 must face mandatory Whyte says WBC president
- Pacquiao doesn’t rule out Golovkin bout at 154