Tommy Zbikowski to fight on June 17
CHICAGO — June 13, 2016 — Hitz Boxing returns to Elk Grove on June 17th, where Tommy Zbikowski resumed his professional boxing career in April after five long years out of the squared circle. The former Notre Dame football legend shook off the ring rust with a four-round unanimous decision over Keith Jackson, before returning to the ring just three weeks later in Hammond, Indiana. His sensational first round knockout performance at the Horseshoe Casino on May 14th erased any doubt that he’d found his new calling as a professional prize fighter. The Chicago firefighter returns June 17th at Hitz Boxing’s Fight Night at the Belvedere in a four-round cruiserweight bout.
Bobby Hitz, founder and promoter of Hitz Boxing, Chicagoland’s longest-running promotion, is himself a former boxer and football player, and was inducted into the American Football Hall of Fame in 2015. “Tommy is a great guy to work with, and the fans love him,” said Hitz of the one-time Baltimore Raven. “He’s not just a flash in the pan. He won the Chicago Golden Gloves, which is no small feat. He can fight, he’s got a good team behind him, and we’re happy to be part of his return to boxing.”
Heavyweight Nick Mazurek (5-0, 5KO), who also made quick work of his opponent at the Horseshoe Casino May 14th, will return in a four round bout. The young fighter is turning heads with his quick hands and powerful punches. He’s joined on the card by fellow Chicagoan David “Diesel” Latoria (10-0, 5KO), in a separate heavyweight contest, who will step into the ring for the first time since defeating Edward Gutierrez in 2012.
Rounding out the card, Jaime Herrera (13-3-1, 7KO) will make his first appearance in 2016 in a six-round bout at welterweight. Flyweight Javier Rivera (2-0, 0KO) stays busy at flyweight, and light heavyweight amateur sensation Martez McGregor will make his debut in front of his hometown crowd.
Doors to The Belvedere Elk Grove open at 6:00 on June 17th, and first bell is at 7:00. Tickets are priced $110 and $40, and are available at HitzBoxing.com.
More Boxing News:
- Erickson Lubin ready for Jermell Charlo rematch at 154
- Danny Roman targeting Luis Nery fight
- Jazza Dickens, Ohara Davies, Ryan Walsh, McKenna #GoldenContract Press Quotes
- Buatsi Undercard: Fiaz vs. Baker on October 4, Live on Sky
- “Like a dream” – Mairis Briedis returns to Latvia with the Ali Trophy
- Shawn Porter: Demetrius Andrade beats Jermall Charlo
- Jermall Charlo being avoided by Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin?
- Teofimo warns Lomachenko: ‘I’m putting hands on you on October 17th’
- Mairis Briedis considering a move to heavyweight
- Pacquiao has started training after Conor McGregor Tweet