Will Broner’s problems continue against Theophane?
By John Thompson: Adrien “The Problem” Broner faces a myriad of legal issues and has been stripped of his WBA light welterweight title after failing to make weight yesterday, so will he face any more drama tonight against Ashley “Treasure” Theophane at the DC Armory in Washington, DC? With Broner, anything is possible, but this April Fools Day’s main event on Premier Boxing Champions (televised on SpikeTV) seems unlikely to produce any major upsets.
At 26 years old, Broner (31-2, 23 KOs) is nine years younger than Theophane (39-6-1, 11 KO’s). Having boxed 180 rounds to Theophane’s 306, Broner should also be the fresher fighter. That being said, Broner has faced stiffer competition with bouts against the likes of Marcos Maidana, Shawn Porter, Paulie Malignaggi, and Daniel Ponce De Leon.
The Cincinnati native Broner has fought once since his loss to Porter, stopping Khabib Allakhverdiev (then 19-1) in the twelfth round of their contest last October. Theophane, from London and now living in Las Vegas, is on a six fight winning streak since his split decision loss to Pablo Cesar Cano in 2013.
Theophane is about an inch and a half taller, however, that should be negated by Broner’s two and a half inch reach advantage. Neither fighter has been knocked out, though Broner was staggered several times by Marcos Maidana in 2013. The major difference between Broner and Theophane is power. Broner boasts a 68% KO ratio to Theophane’s 24%. The only real question mark here is whether Broner’s out of the ring problems will affect “The Problem” in the ring tonight.
More Boxing News:
- Adrien Broner getting serious with his career
- Adrien Broner to fight in January for “new money”
- Adrien Broner still wants $10M before fighting again
- Adrien Broner denies he’s fighting in January, wants $10 million
- Adrien Broner to fight Ivan Redkach in January at 140
- Joshua vs. Fury to fight in May or June 2021, says Hearn
- Oleksandr Usyk ready to “explode” against Dereck Chisora on Saturday
- VIDEO: Floyd is Right – Too many belts in Boxing
- Opinion: PPVs and Subscriptions – The Cost of Consuming Boxing
- Dave Allen taking risky fight against Christopher Lovejoy on Saturday