Boxing legend Chavez backing Ramirez to beat ‘great champion’ Abraham
Mexican boxing legend Julio Cesar Chavez is backing Gilberto Ramirez (33-0, 24 KOs) to dethrone WBO World Super Middleweight Champion Arthur Abraham (44-4, 29 KOs) on April 9 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
While hosting his ESPN show ‘A Los Golpes’, the former six-time World Champion told Ramirez: ‘’I have a lot of faith in you. I believe you will win the fight but you have to take advantage of your height and youth because Arthur Abraham is a great champion!’’
Despite his prediction, Abraham, who is aiming for a sixth successive defence of his WBO title, was flattered by Chavez’s remarks.
‘’I love this man. He was a real warrior who would give everything in the ring,’’ said ‘King Arthur’. ‘’He is one of my boxing idols so it means a lot for him to call me a great champion. However, I must disappoint him on April 9, by beating his countryman Ramirez.’’
One man confident Abraham’s Las Vegas debut will prove successful is his coach Ulli Wegner, who believes Ramirez’s lack of experience will be the deciding factor.
‘’A fight like this is won in the mind, and for Ramirez, there are still a lot of questions he must answer,’’ said Wegner. ‘’This is his first World title fight. Can he handle the pressure? Can he master his tactics over twelve rounds? All this remains to be seen.’’
For the defending champion there is no question of his bravery as he travels into enemy territory to face the undefeated Mexican, using as his motto: ‘’ Mejor morir de pie que vivir arrodillado!’’ (Translated: It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees!)
Arthur Abraham defends his WBO World Super Middleweight title against Gilberto Ramirez on the undercard of Manny Pacquiao’s farewell fight with Timothy Bradley on April 9 at the MGM
More Boxing News:
- Mikaela Mayer to Challenge Jr. Lightweight Champion Ewa Brodnicka as the Inoue-Moloney Co-Feature on Oct.31
- Ángel and Chávez Barrientes training camp quotes
- McKenna vs Davies Weigh In Results; Dickens fails COVID-19 test
- Chantelle Cameron vs Dos Santos Araujo this Sunday October 4, live on Sky Sports
- Munguia vs. Johnson Undercard Update
- Porter: Erislandy Lara is the next guy for Jermell Charlo at 154
- David Haye warns Usyk: It only takes one shot, Chisora will cause an upset
- Regis Prograis vs. Juan Heraldez on Oct.24 on Tank vs. Santa Cruz card
- Murat Gassiev to face Kevin Johnson on Oct.31 in Russia
- Mikey Garcia says he’s fighting Manny Pacquiao next 100%, not Conor McGregor