Quillin wants rematch against Jacobs
By Dan Ambrose: The recently beaten former WBO middleweight champion Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin (32-1-1, 23 KOs) says he wants a rematch against WBA “regular” middleweight champion Daniel Jacobs (31-1, 28 KOs), who stopped him in the 1st round in their fight last December. Jacobs hurt Quillin with a right hand in the opening seconds of that fight, and then flurried on him until referee Harvey Dock was forced to step in and stop the contest. Quillin was staggering around the ring at the time of the stoppage. Dock did the right thing by stopping it when he did because if he had allowed it to continue, Jacobs would have surely planted Quillin on the canvas.
Both fighters are managed by the same guy in Al Haymon. If he wants to put them back in together, then he can definitely do that and then put the fight on Showtime or one of the free televisions on Premier Boxing Champions.
It might be a bit too early for a rematch between #10 WBA, #11 WBC Quillin and Jacobs, however. Fans would probably prefer to see the two fighters face other people before facing each other a second time.
“I would [want a rematch against Jacobs]. I’m game,” Quillin said to ringtv.com. “Kid Chocolate has never been scared. Never have, never will. I’m coming back very soon. He just caught me with a good punch at the right time,” he said. “I was trying to get myself back together.”
It would be nice to see Jacobs face someone else in his next fight rather than fight an in house guy like Quillin again. Jacobs should look to fight his WBA mandatory challenger Chris Eubank Jr. rather than face Quillin again. The boxing fans don’t need another Sergey Kovalev vs. Jean Pascal II rematch type of mismatch. The 32-year-old Quillin looks like he’s slipped a notch since his 12 round draw with Andy Lee in 2015.
I think he’s going downhill as a fighter. It would be better for Haymon to point Quillin in another direction towards another fighter like Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, or better yet, have Quillin move up in weight to the super middleweight division to go after some of the champions in that weight class. Quillin is having to work too hard to get down to the middleweight division, and I don’t think it’s a good idea for him to stay at 160.
“We can fight again and the same thing could happen or it could be totally different and I could hit him with the first punch and get him out of there,” Quillin said. “That’s why everyone wants to see it happen again. So if it does, I’m game for it.”
Quillin probably wishes that everybody wanted to see him fight Jacobs again, because I don’t think that’s the case at all. The boxing fans don’t want to keep seeing rematches between fighters, especially when it’s a needless one like in the case of the Jacobs-Quillin fight. Something should be said about a fighter needing to earn his way back to a rematch rather than get given to him simply because he’s managed by the same guy.
— The Special K #TMT (@kawu_KK) January 26, 2016
If Quillin would beat someone good like David Lemieux, Eubank Jr. or Tureano Johnson to earn a second fight against Jacobs, then I could understand the two of them facing each other again. But right now I think it would be a really bad idea for them to face each other again.
Quillin was always a flawed fighter to begin with, and he never really had to prove himself by facing a high quality middleweight before. The best fighter that Quillin had faced in his career before he faced Jacobs was Andy Lee, and he failed to beat him. Quillin ran out of gas after six rounds and had to settle for a draw.
In hindsight, it was a huge blunder on Quillin’s part to vacate his WBO 160lb title after the World Boxing Organization ordered him to fight mandatory challenger Matt Korobov in 2014. Quillin ended up missing an entire year of his career in the prime of his career. You don’t do that in the sport of boxing and then come back and expect to be at the same level you were previously. Quillin didn’t have the talent to begin with to take off that much time from the sport.