Antonio Margarito returns against Jorge Paez Jr. this Saturday night
Los Angeles, CA (February 29, 2016) – Four years removed from his last appearance in a ring, former four time (WBO 147 LB./ IBF 147LB./WBA 147 LB./ Ring Magazine World Welterweight champion), Antonio ”The Tijuana Tornado” Margarito, 38-8, (27KOs) has been given a clean bill of eye health, surgically repaired and good to go, now looks forward to resuming his career this Saturday night at the Arena Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico City in a Super Welterweight bout against the skilled Jorge Paez Jr. 39-7-2, (23KOs) which will be televised through BeIn Sports En Espanol and beIN SPORTS CONNECT in the United States and through AZTECA 7 in Mexico.
Margarito who originally suffered the eye injury in his 2010 showdown against Manny Pacquiao steps back with renewed vigor in the fight card presented by Zanfer Promotions. In Paez Jr., ”The Tijuana Tornado” will pit wits against a fighter who has held the WBC Silver Super welterweight title with a win in a rematch against Omar Chavez back in 2012, and last year challenged Jose Benavidez with the WBA Super lightweight belt at stake.
Despite his high octane fighting style and grueling fights, Margarito feels he has much left in the tank, being away from the ring for four years, but always staying in shape, going to the gym, one can make the case the former champion is closer to his prime than past it, something he is looking forward to prove with an impressive outing this Saturday night.
Margarito’s ultimate goal, as mentioned before is another crack at a world title, something which will get him closer to, adding Paez’s name to his long list of opponent’s, be it champions or highly rated contenders at one time, such as David Kamau, Frankie Randall, Antonio Diaz, Danny Perez, Andrew ”Six Heads” Lewis, Hercules Kyvelos, Sebastian Lujan, Kermit ”Killer”Cintron, Manuel ”Shotgun” Gomez, Joshua Clottey, Golden Johnson, Miguel Cotto and Roberto ”La Amenaza” Garcia and WBC Super welterweight and Middleweight world champion Sergio ”Maravilla” Martinez.
Top Rank’s Bob Arum, who promoted Margarito throughout his career has stated to different News outlets that should the former champion look good and impress against the wily, quick-fisted Paez Jr., he will work towards getting him licensed back once and promote him in the U.S.
More Boxing News:
- BT Sport new boxing series: What Went Down
- Dillian Whyte and Francis Ngannou meet in press conference on Saturday
- Joshua Buatsi and Callum Johnson speak on ‘The Boxing Show’
- Jessie Vargas looking to become 3 division world champion
- CES Boxing offers Mike Tyson $1,000,000 to fight Cusumano
- Ivan Baranchyk vs. Jose Zepeda on July 9 on ESPN in Las Vegas
- Nonito Donaire motivated for ‘The Takeover’ at 118
- Andy Lee: Tyson Fury mentally BREAKS Anthony Joshua and stops him
- Mayweather & Haney working out on mitts; Tank Davis still a problem
- Luis Ortiz fighting in August or September, wants Mike Tyson