Demetrius Andrade returns this Saturday night at Mohegan Sun
PROVIDENCE (October 15, 2015) – The long, often contentious stretch of inactivity for undefeated super welterweight Demetrius “Boo Boo” Andrade (21-0, 14 KOs) finally ends this Saturday night at Mohegan Sun Arena.
The 2008 U.S. Olympian from Providence returns to the ring for the first time in 16 months to fight former South American champion Dario Fabian “El Gallo” Pucheta (20-2, 11 KOs) in the 10-round main event for the vacant World Boxing Organization (WBO) International super welterweight championship
The 27-year-old Andrade hasn’t fought since June 14, 2014, when he annihilated the then No. 1 mandatory contender Brian “The Lion” Rose (25-1-1, 7 KOs) in seven rounds, showcased on HBO, in his first and only World Boxing Organization (WBO) title defense.
“I’ve been there, done that,” Andrade spoke about his return. “It was kind of like when I was an amateur turning pro; I think, I didn’t fight for eight months. Yeah, it’s finally hit me that I’m fighting again, but this is something I’ve done all my life, and it should have been happening on a regular basis. Training camp was great. Inside and outside of the ring (during his ring hiatus), I’ve been preparing for life-changing stuff, not just this one fight. But I’m fully focused on this fight against a tough, hungry opponent.”
Andrade, whose WBO title was stripped a few months ago for inactivity, originally captured the vacant WBO super welterweight championship November 9, 2013, also aired on HBO, by way of a 12-round decision over previously unbeaten 2004 U.S. Olympian Vanes “Nightmare” Martirosyan (33-0-1, 21 KOs).
“I’m in the best shape of my life,” Andrade added, “physically, mentally and spiritually. I’m going to look spectacular Saturday night doing what I do best.”
Tickets are still on sale, ranging from $200.00 to $25.00 (excluding fees). Call 401.261.3755 to purchase tickets.
Follow Demetrius Andrade on Twitter @AndradeATeam.
More Boxing News:
- Santiago Vs. Garcia Weights From Tijuana, Mexico
- Mairis Briedis vs Yuniel Dorticos WBSS Cruiser Final on Sept. 26
- Boxing Results: Jose Pedraza defeats Javier Molina, Efe Ajagba Decisions Rice
- Results / Photos: Lubin beats Gausha to earn rematch with Jermell Charlo
- Charles Conwell vs. Wendy Toussaint on October 7 on Showtime
- Canelo vs. Yildirim purse bid rescheduled for October 6
- Hearn says Whyte’s career will be “terminal” if he loses to Povetkin on Nov.21
- Erickson Lubin ready for Jermell Charlo rematch
- Devin Haney and Yuriorkis Gamboa reach an agreement for Nov.7 fight on DAZN
- Fury advises Joshua to vacate WBO belt to duck Oleksandr Usyk