Artur Beterbiev injured, out of 11/28 fight
MONTREAL (October 20, 2015) – Montreal’s adopted son and light heavyweight contender Artur Beterbiev (9-0, 9 KOs) will not be fighting November 28 at the Centre Vidéotron in Quebec City. The Groupe Yvon Michel-promoted boxer injured his shoulder during training last week, forcing him to withdraw from his bout.
Beterbiev is currently world rated at No. 2 by both the International Boxing Federation (IBF) and World Boxing Organization (WBO), as well as No. 3 by the World Boxing Association (WBA) and No. 4 by the World Boxing Council (WBC).
The decision was made this morning (Tuesday) after the two-time Russian Olympian met GYM’s doctor, Francis Fontaine, and surgeon David Baillargeon determined Beterbiev needs minor but necessary surgery to his right shoulder.
“Under my supervision, Artur had a magnetic resonance examination Friday,” Dr. Fontaine explained. “After a meeting this morning, we have decided that Artur’s surgery would be performed in the next few days by specialist Dr. Baillargeon. We expect a complete recovery followed by a return to the ring at the beginning of 2016.”
“I am extremely frustrated and disappointed by the situation,” Beterbiev said. “I was preparing myself hard to give another great show to the fans, November 28, but I will be back stronger in 2016.”.
The fighter will start his rehabilitation four days after his surgery, under the wing of physiotherapist Hugo Lettre, from Evolution Physio.
“We have absolute confidence in our medical staff, including the talented Dr. Baillargeon,” GYM president Yvon Michel added. “This is the same doctor that saved the shoulder, which was in a really worst state, and the career of Jean Pascal, in January 2010. Seven months later, Jean defended his title belt, in spectacular fashion, against Chad Dawson.”
More Boxing News:
- Covid-19: Matchroom Boxing Schedule Update
- Golden Boy to show Ryan Garcia documenatory on DAZN – March 30
- Israel Vázquez vs. Rafael Márquez to re-air on SHOWTIME on March 28
- Claressa Shields vs Marie-Eve Dicaire May 9 Fight Postponed
- MTK Global signs heavyweight hero Dave Allen
- Malignaggi: ‘They did Golovkin DIRTY in first 2 Canelo fights’
- Joshua could fight Ruiz a third time – Hearn
- Brook: ‘I’m the guy to beat Crawford’
- Caleb Plant looking sharp training
- Canelo vs. BJ Saunders not likely to happen