Maidana: Nobody will Save Danny Garcia if we Fight
By Raj Parmar: Argentinean welterweight slugger Marcos Maidana (35-5, 31 KO’s) is eager to step inside the ring with Danny Garcia (30-0, 17 KO’s) following Garcia’s majority decision win over Lamont Peterson (33-3, 17 KO’s) last night. Garcia is a champion at super lightweight and is considering a move to welterweight in his next fight.
“I don’t care who won tonight but nobody will save Danny if we fight,” Maidana stated on his twitter account following the fight (which many disputed that Peterson had actually won), “I’ll give Danny the real welcome to the Welterweight division. Let’s do it.”
There is bad blood existing between the two since 2013 when Garcia took down Maidana’s countryman Lucas Matthysse in a highly anticipated super lightweight title match. Marcos seems intent on avenging that defeat by giving Garcia his first loss.
Maidana is coming off back to back losses to pound for pound king Floyd Mayweather in fights where he was able to give Mayweather some trouble with his aggressive style. Floyd’s ring movement however was very tough for Maidana to deal with and he never was able to close Mayweather out in any of their fights.
Therefore Marcos is probably very excited to step into the ring with a fighter who is not extremely light on his feet. Danny prefers to swing haymakers on his opponent rather than to hit and run. This is the type of fight Maidana is seeking after spending his last 24 rounds trying to chase the slippery Mayweather around the ring.
Marcos has also made a lot of money in the two Mayweather fights and may not be motivated to train if he were to sign for a fight that did not generate a big payday. Garcia represents a lucrative option for Maidana and there is no doubt his management will do everything in their power to secure a showdown with the undefeated Garcia.
Follow Raj_Parmar_11 on twitter for more boxing articles
More Boxing News:
- Fox Sports and PBC announce blockbuster schedule for 2020
- Danny Garcia beats Errol Spence predicts Jaron Ennis’ coach Acosta
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Terence Crawford needs several more wins before Errol Spence fight
- Angel Garcia warns Errol Spence, “we purging” on Nov.21
- Jermell Charlo and Billy Joe Saunders trade trash talk
- Ryan Garcia and Devin Haney must wait for Tank Davis clash says Mayweather Promoter
- Vasily Lomachenko reducing his purse to get Teofimo Lopez fight done
- Leo Santa Cruz can’t afford to take shots from Gervonta Davis
- Eddie Hearn wants Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder 3 cancelled if it’s pushed back to February 2021