Floyd Mayweather: I’m Tired of Boxing, it’s not Fun Anymore
By Raj Parmar: Boxing pound for pound number one fighter in the world Floyd Mayweather is adamant that he will retire from the sport this year after he concludes his fight with rival Manny Pacquiao and one more fight in September. He cites his reason of walking away due to his growing disenchantment with the sport.
“I’m pretty much done with all this, it’s not fun like it was back then,” Floyd stated during his media workout yesterday, “It’s business now. I don’t really enjoy it any longer.”
At 38 years old, the health conscious Mayweather is hovering around the age where it makes sense for a fighter to consider hanging up the gloves. However if Floyd is already not enjoying the sport as he heads into the biggest fight of his career, it may play a factor in his super fight with Manny.
A once in a lifetime matchup and event like this requires a little extra push physically, mentally and spiritually from each fighter to pull out a win. If Floyd already feels less than thrilled with boxing as a whole, it may imply that he is just going through the regular motions in training. This may have worked against lesser fighters such as Marcos Maidana and Robert Guerrero, but against another top pound for pound fighter something a little extra internally may be required to get a decisive win.
In Muhammad Ali’s third fight with Joe Frazier, known famously as the Thrilla in Manila, both men even in the advanced stages of their careers brought an added element into the ring that night in addition to just their regular skill set. Without that added internal boost of energy coming from each of their burning fires to prove they were the best in boxing, Ali would not have been able to overcome Frazier and Frazier would not have taken Ali to “the brink of death” as Ali himself had put it.
Mayweather may likely need this fire to burn in him as well on May 2 in order to take down Pacquiao who, just like Ali and Frazier, is coming to prove that he is the best in boxing.
Follow Raj_Parmar_11 for more boxing articles
More Boxing News:
- Conor McGregor looking desparate, still wants Pacquiao fight
- Arum approached by Kell Brook for Terence Crawford fight
- Errol Spence threatens to Go “Rogue” if Manny Pacquiao faces Mikey Garcia
- Manny Pacquiao adviser hints Mikey Garcia next for him
- Mayweather reacts to Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr fight announcement
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Jermall Charlo gives Sergiy Derevyanchenko a warning: “What round is it going to be?”
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Devin Haney will clear out 135 & 140-lb divisions says Mickey Bey