Kovalev has to attack Hopkins, says Kellerman
Kovalev surprised a lot of boxing fans recently when he revealed that he doesn’t have a set plan for what he’s going to do when he gets inside the ring with Hopkins. Kovalev doesn’t have a plan-A, B, C, D and E like most fighters do when they take on an opponent in an important fight. Kovalev says he’s going to come out and react to what Hopkins is doing, and come up with stuff on the fly.
HBO commentator Max Kellerman thinks Kovalev will be much better off if he comes out slugging and looking to take Hopkins apart with every shot rather than trying to box him. Kellerman sees Kovalev’s best chance of beating Hopkins is by fighting like he always does without thinking too much.
“As long as you have some tactical stuff in place for when Hopkins does X when a fighter does Y, and you take advantage of some tactical things,” Kellerman said to Jim Lampley’s ‘The Fight Game’ on HBO. “It’s good not to be in Kovalev’s head. If he starts thinking with Bernard Hopkins, as [Kovalev’s trainer] John David Jackson pointed out, it’s a wrap. Kovalev just has to fight and attack,” Kellerman said.
It’s going to be interesting to see if this kind of strategy will work for Kovalev if he elects to come out looking to slug with Hopkins rather than picking his spots to fight him. It might be better for Kovalev to try and score a quick knockout, because we saw that Karo Murat had success in throwing a lot of punches in his fight against Hopkins.
Murat was still too small, slow and weak to defeat Hopkins, but he was able to land a lot of shots. In contrast, Beibut Shumenov didn’t throw enough punches in his fight against Hopkins, and that made it easy for Hopkins to out-box him. Shumenov waited too long to let his shots go, and this enabled Hopkins to beat him to the punch.
“I fear no one, and when you fear no one, they fear you,” Hopkins said.
More Boxing News:
- Bernard Hopkins: Roy Jones Jr. beats Andre Ward
- Ryan Garcia vs Tank Davis happens soon – Bernard Hopkins
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Jermall Charlo being HYPED by Bernard Hopkins
- Joe Calzaghe top five most impressive wins
- Devin Haney CONFRONTS Bernard Hopkins after Ryan Garcia victory
- Nonito Donaire motivated for ‘The Takeover’ at 118
- Andy Lee: Tyson Fury mentally BREAKS Anthony Joshua and stops him
- Mayweather & Haney working out on mitts; Tank Davis still a problem
- Luis Ortiz fighting in August or September, wants Mike Tyson
- Errol Spence GLOATING on taking Keith Thurman’s spot at the top of 147 lb division