Adonis Stevenson wants Hopkins vs. Kovalev winner
By Dan Ambrose: WBC light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson (24-1, 20 KOs) is saying that he wants to fight the winner of the November 8th unification fight between WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev (25-0-1, 23 KOs) and IBF/WBA champion Bernard Hopkins (55-6-2, 32 KOs).
Stevenson, who just turned 37-years-old last month, says he’ll be attending the Hopkins-Kovalev fight next month presumably to scout out the winner.
“I will be ringside on November 8 for the fight of Bernard Hopkins vs Sergey Kovalev. I will fight the winner for the unification,” Stevenson said on his Facebook page.
Stevenson had the chance to fight both Hopkins and Kovalev, as well as Jean Pascal, but didn’t make the fights happen. When Stevenson was with HBO, Kovalev’s promoter was working on trying to put a fight together between the two fighters. But then Stevenson left HBO and signed on with Showtime, which removed any chance of Kovalev and Stevenson fighting. There was an attempt by Hopkins to put a fight together with Stevenson but that didn’t pan out either.
If Stevenson is serious about wanting to fight the winner of the Kovalev-Hopkins fight then this is definitely good news, because it would make for an interesting scenario for the winner of the Hopkins vs. Kovalev fight to be taking on Stevenson. That would be the last piece of the puzzle for Hopkins or Kovalev to try and unify all the titles in the weight class.
It wouldn’t mean that they would have an easy time in the future though once that fight was taken care of, because prospect Artur Beterbiev is moving up quickly and he could eventually be a threat to the winner of those fights.
If Stevenson doesn’t fight the Hopkins vs. Kovalev winner then he’s going to need to face Pascal sooner or later. Pascal is his mandatory challenger, and that fight is going to need to be made at some point.
More Boxing News:
- Bernard Hopkins: Roy Jones Jr. beats Andre Ward
- Ryan Garcia vs Tank Davis happens soon – Bernard Hopkins
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Jermall Charlo being HYPED by Bernard Hopkins
- Joe Calzaghe top five most impressive wins
- Devin Haney CONFRONTS Bernard Hopkins after Ryan Garcia victory
- Keith Thurman to Manny Pacquiao: GIVE me a rematch
- Joshua vs. Pulev possible for smaller venue in UK
- Jamel Herring and Jonathan Oquendo have agreed to terms for July 2 on ESPN in Las Vegas
- Devin Haney hanging with Mayweather, says Teofimo Lopez never sent offer
- Dillian Whyte wants Francis Ngannou fight