Thurman and Wilder pick Mayweather to defeat Maidana
By Chris Williams: Heavyweight contender Deontay Wilder and WBA interim welterweight champion Keith Thurman both were interviewed during the “Mayhem” weigh-in on Friday at the Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Marcos Maidana fight card in Las Vegas, Nevada at the MGM Grand hotel.
Both Thurman and Wilder see Mayweather having too much talent for the hard hitting Maidana. Thurman thinks that Mayweather has the kind of talent to make this a very easy fight if he chooses to by boxing Maidana instead of standing in front of him in a stationary manner like he did last May.
Thurman says he wants to see which adjustments, if any, the two fighters make during the course of the fight. Deontay Wilder believes that Mayweather already knows how to beat Maidana after their last fight in May. The only thing that Wilder wonders about is whether Maidana can get to Mayweather if he fixes the accuracy on his shots. Wilder believes that Maidana has the power to hurt Mayweather if he can hit him enough times.
“Floyd should win this fight,” Thurman said. “Floyd should have an easy time of it if he uses his footwork. He was standing still [the last time he fought Maidana]. He said he did that for the fans. He made a lot of personal comments and I believe he chose to fight that way. World class fighters can do that. I’m looking forward to the adjustments he makes. Hopefully he makes this fight easier for himself. I hope he bridges the gap between him and Maidana. I’m also looking forward to which adjustments Maidana makes to try and make it a more difficult for Floyd Mayweather.”
“I think both want it bad,” Deontay said about Mayweather and Maidana. “I think Maidana really wants it because it avenges a loss, and of course everybody wants to be the name that says I beat Floyd Mayweather. I feel Floyd has his number now. I feel Floyd will be able to adjust a little bit more than he did the first time. But you can’t deny a guy with power like Maidana. If Maidana can get his accuracy then it’s going to be a good fight.”
More Boxing News:
- Floyd Mayweather Jr hinting about an exhibition fight in 2020
- Amir Khan to Marcos Maidana: “Let’s do it again”
- Floyd Mayweather Jr upset at Sugar Ray Leonard ranked #1 at 147
- Floyd Mayweather to fight a couple exhibitions overseas
- Shakur Stevenson: The next Adrien BRONER or Mayweather?
- Vasily Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez looking shaky for October 3
- Hearn offered 4 options to Canelo Alvarez, still NO reply
- Marriaga vs. Yap CANCELLED; Felix Verdejo and Will Madera make weight
- Artur Beterbiev vs. Fanlong Meng on September 25 in Ekaterinburg in Russia
- Chris Arreola has NO sympathy for Andy Ruiz Jr