Boxing News - Latest Headlines


Ricky Burns vs. Leonardo Esteban Gonzalez on October 4th in Leeds

Ricky Burns will face Leonardo Esteban Gonzalez in his first bout at Light Welterweight at the first direct Arena in Leeds on October 4, live on Sky Sports.


Burns moves up to 140lbs following a tough run in the Lightweight division after surrendering his WBO World title despite a gutsy display against talented Omaha star Terence Crawford in March, and his subsequent split decision loss to Dejan Zlaticanin in June made Burns make the decision to move up. Burns meets the 32 year old Argentine over ten rounds and the pair have a common foe in Paulus Moses, the Namibian whom Burns defended his Lightweight crown against in March 2012 and Gonzalez challenged for the WBO International Lightweight belt in October 2013.

The Coatbridge ace claimed the WBO Super Featherweight title four years ago with on a memorable night against Roman Martinez, and the 31 year old believes he can bring back those glory days up at Light Welterweight.


“I believe that the move up in weight will really benefit me,” said Burns. “The Lightweight limit was proving tougher to make in my last few fights so that’s now behind me and I can concentrate on working on my boxing in the gym with Tony Sims.

“It has been a tough year following the Raymundo Beltran fight but I’m feeling great in the gym and the fire and desire is still there to achieve big things. I’m looking to show in Leeds that I’ve still got the goods to challenge for major belts and ultimately, win another World title.”

Burns’ debut at Light Welterweight against Gonzalez is part of a great line-up of action in Leeds as local favourite Josh Warrington takes on Davide Diele for the vacant European Featherweight title.

Light Middleweight World title challenger Brian Rose faces Juan Manuel Bonanni, Liverpool’s unbeaten Super Middleweight sensation Callum Smith defends his WBC International title and Tyrone Nurse fights for the vacant Commonwealth Light Welterweight title.

Tickets are on sale now priced £30, £40 and £60 from the First Direct Arena on 0844 248 1585 and at www.firstdirectarena.com. VIP tickets priced at £120 are available exclusively from Matchroom Boxing on 01277 359900 and at www.matchroomboxing.com

Brook inspiration leaves Galahad hungry for world titles

London (18 Sept) European and Commonwealth super-bantamweight champion Kid Galahad admits that seeing close friend and stable-mate Kell Brook win the IBF world welterweight title last month in America has made him even more motivated to bring a world title of his own back to the Wincobank gym in Sheffield.

News:
FOX Weights & Photos: Williams 153.4 vs Rosario 153.1

This Saturday night (September 20) at the Ponds Forge Arena, Galahad faces unbeaten Brazilian puncher Adeilson Dos Santos for the vacant IBF Youth super-bantamweight title. But next year he hopes to replicate Brook’s success and strike gold.

“I was there with Kell and it was an unbelievable experience,” said Galahad, 17-0 (9 KOs). “It was great seeing a good friend win a world title – something he’d always dreamed about since he was a little kid. And to do it in that kind of fashion made it even more special. Nobody outside his inner circle thought he could do it. He proved them all wrong. He did a proper job on Shawn Porter.

“Just being there and being around the whole scene motivated me even more and made me want to hurry up and become a world champion. It really did give me some extra motivation to succeed and bring another world title to the Wincobank.

News:
Blair 'The Flair' Cobbs Battles Samuel Kotey on Valentines Day Live on DAZN

“You’ve got to get the opportunities and you’ve got to keep winning, but I’d love to one day do what Kell has done and fight for a world title in America. If that’s where the big fights are, I’m ready for them.”

That’s not to say Galahad is overlooking this Saturday’s opponent, however. Quite the opposite, in fact. The Sheffield stylist has studied Dos Santos, 14-0 (10 KOs), and knows exactly what kind of problems he will pose if he’s not on his A-game.

“It will be a technical fight,” said the 24-year-old. “I’ve seen a fight or two of his and he seems technically quite good. He looks like someone who has a good amateur pedigree and knows what he’s doing in there. He’s sharp, he’s tall, he’s rangy and he looks like he can punch a bit.

“I’m fully expecting a tough fight. He will probably turn out to be the best opponent I’ve faced so far in my career, so I have to be ready and on my game. I will do whatever I’ve got to do to be victorious.”

In addition to his savvy skills and clever boxing brain, Galahad is hoping the support of his home crowd will also motivate him to put on a career-best performance come Saturday night.

“You can’t go wrong when you’re fighting in your hometown in front of your people,” he said. “That alone lifts me to another level. Everybody comes out and shows their support and I really thrive on it. I love it.”

*** Kid Galahad collides with power-punching Brazilian Adeilson Dos Santos in a battle of unbeaten super-bantamweights this Saturday night (September 20) in Sheffield, live on Channel 5 in the UK and on SporTV in Brazil and on FightNetwork in Canada and is sponsored by MaxiNutrition.***

The exciting undercard will also see another IBF title up for grabs when Adam Etches fights Samir Santos Barbosa for the IBF International Middleweight title.

Popular Sheffield fighter Scott Jenkins will also be in action along with local fighters Atif Shafiq, Sam O’Maison, Callum Hancock, Jordan Gill of Chatteris and Tyson Fury’s brother Young Fury.

The packed crowd will also see highly regarded featherweight prospect Yusuf Safa from Bexleyheath in action.

Limited tickets for the Hennessy Sports promoted event at Ponds Forge, Sheffield, priced at £35 general admission and £100 ringside are still available to purchase by calling the SIV ticket box office on
0114 223 3777.

Tickets are also available from www.sivtickets.com or in person at the Sheffield City Hall, Crucible Theatre and Motorpoint Arena Sheffield.

UNDEFEATED JUNIOR MIDDLEWEIGHT PROSPECT FRANK GALARZA HEADLINES AT RESORTS WORLD CASINO THIS SATURDAY

New York, NY (9/18/14) – This Saturday, September 20, junior middleweight prospect “Notorious” Frank Galarza (14-0-2, 9 KO’s) is back in action, as he takes on the tough Jonathan Batista (14-3, 7 KO’s), in the main event of a stacked card at Resorts World Casino, in Jamaica, NY, presented by New Legend Boxing. The undercard will feature the ring returns of junior middleweight Alantez Fox and junior featherweight Danny Aquino as well. Once adversaries, Galarza and Fox are now fighting under the same promotional umbrella of DiBella Entertainment and New Legend Boxing, along with Aquino.

Fighting out of Brooklyn, NY, Galarza, a New York Golden Gloves champion, quickly became a fan favorite on the local club show circuit with his aggressive, brawling style, starting with a vicious 20-second TKO victory in his September 2010 pro debut. Three of his last four wins have been over undefeated prospects, in which Galarza has picked up the New York State and WBC Latino junior middleweight titles. This year, he gained national television exposure by twice appearing on Showtime’s popular “ShoBox” series, scoring a highlight reel second-round knockout over the 14-0 John Thompson in January and a dominant eight-round unanimous decision over the 8-0 Canadian Sebastien Bouchard in May. Against the battle-tested Dominican Batista, Galarza will be competing in his first 10-round contest.

“I’m winding down the final preparations of training camp now and I’m just ready to go on Saturday,” said an enthusiastic Galarza. “My opponent, Jonathan Batista, is a durable guy, he’s fought some tough guys like Kermit Cintron and John Thompson. I’m looking to get my 15th victory and I’m excited to be fighting in my first 10-round bout. This will be my sixth time fighting at Resorts, in Queens, which has become a home base for me. It’s always a pleasure to fight locally and give my fans what they want to see.”

At 6’5″, Fox (12-0-1, 4 KO’s) is a tall, slick boxer with exceptional physical tools that include a 79-inch reach. With 10 years of amateur experience, building a 165-35 record, Fox, from Forestville, MD, made his pro debut in 2010. Trained by his father Troy Fox, Alantez has impressive wins over the highly regarded Julius Kennedy and Zain Shah, both via unanimous decision. Following an extended absence from the ring, the 22-year-old Fox is ready to take the division by storm as he climbs up the rankings. His first hurdle will be Jonathan Garcia in a six-round junior middleweight contest.

“I’m really looking forward to getting back in the ring. It’s been over a year now and I’m determined to show everyone what I can do and hopefully impress the fans and everyone at Resorts on Saturday,” said Fox. “I never stopped training, even though I’ve been out of the ring for so long, but come fight night, I’ll be 110 percent ready. I never sleep on my opponents, and I know he’s a tough guy. I’m just ready to get back on track and fight on a steady schedule to build myself into a contender and title contention.”

Both Galarza and Fox won their first seven fights before facing off against one another at Resorts, back on September 22, 2012. With the vacant New York State junior middleweight title at stake, Galarza and Fox waged a fast-paced exhilarating war for eight rounds. Galarza had early success with his overhand right, but Fox then established a distance using his long jab to dictate the action. Landing his powerful left hook, Fox evened up the fight on the scorecards, leading to a draw verdict. Since then, Galarza has won another seven fights with a draw, while Fox has picked up five straight victories.

“Fox is a helluva fighter, a true talent,” complimented Galarza. “Our fight was one for the record books, probably the best fight they’ve ever had at Resorts. We were two undefeated fighters putting it all on the line. We’ve both definitely improved since then and it benefits us both greatly to be a part of DiBella Entertainment and New Legend Boxing. I believe they will move us very well. When the time is right and we’re both at a higher level, I can envision us having a rematch, but on a much larger scale with bigger stakes.”

“It was a tough fight against Galarza,” reminisced Fox, “but I remember winning, even though they called it a draw. The fight should actually have been televised, it was that good. We’re both under the same promotional banner now because they recognized my talent. I’m sure that with DiBella Entertainment and New Legend Boxing, we’ll get pushed in the right direction with meaningful fights down the road and I’m extremely happy and grateful for the opportunity. If the rematch against Galarza comes, it should be on a big stage for the right money and I look forward to it happening some day.”

Also appearing on Saturday’s undercard in a six-round junior featherweight bout will be Mexican Danny Aquino, of Meriden, Conn., fighting for the first time in 18 months. A strong and relentless fighter, Aquino turned pro in 2009, after a stellar amateur career that saw him compile a 95-12 record. Having recently signed an exclusive co-promotional contract with DiBella Entertainment and New Legend Boxing, Aquino (15-2, 10 KO’s) is eager to prove that he is an elite fighter.

“It’s a pleasure working with Frank Galarza, Alantez Fox and Danny Aquino, and co-promoting with New Legend Boxing,” said Lou DiBella, President of DiBella Entertainment. “We wish all three of our fighters success on Saturday and we hope for a great night for New Legend Boxing. The big winners will be the fans in attendance. We’re looking for another explosive knockout from the ‘Notorious’ Galarza!”

“We are excited to have Galarza, Fox and Aquino on the same card,” said Felipe Gomez, of New Legend Boxing. “It was exactly two years ago at the same venue that Galarza and Fox went to war with each other in the ring resulting in a draw. Now, they will meet again on same card but against different opponents. We are proud to be working in conjunction with DiBella Entertainment by adding these fine and talented boxers to our stable of fighters.”

Comments are closed.

Subscribe (Free!)
Search

The views expressed in all articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of BoxingNews24 or its affiliates.

Facebook Button Twitter Button Twitter Button

Privacy Statement l Do Not Sell My Personal Information  l Cookies Policy l Boxing Resources l Back To Top l Contact Us