Mayorga destroys Medina; Samuel Peter stops Aubrey
By Allan Fox: In a card littered with mismatches, 40-year-old former two division world champion Ricardo Mayorga (30-8-1, 24 KOs) stopped little known 36-year-old journeyman Allen Medina (9-24-1, 1 KOs) in the 1st round of a scheduled 8 round fight last Saturday night at the OKC Downtown Parkway, in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
Sporting orange hair, Mayorga caught Medina in the corner and snowed him under with punches until he dropped to the canvas. The referee then stopped the fight at 1:03 of the round.
Mayorga didn’t look that bad for a fighter 40-years-old and coming off of a three and a half year layoff since his last fight against Miguel Cotto in March of 2011. Mayorga looked and fought almost the same as he did in that fight. His power was still there, and his hand speed looked to be about the same. Most impressive about Mayorga was his conditioning. He looked to be in good shape.
A fighter who didn’t look to be in good shape was former WBC heavyweight champion Samuel Peter (35-5, 28 KOs), who looked badly overweight in stopping 48-year-old Ron Aubrey (12-4-1, 12 KOs) in the 1st round of a scheduled 8 round fight. Both fighters looked to be close to 300 pounds, and badly in need of a weight reduction diet.
Peter, 34, hit Aubrey with a right hand rabbit shot while in a clinch with him, sending him down on the canvas. The referee still counted it as a legitimate knockout even though it appeared to be a clear rabbit punch. Before the knockout shot, Peter spent much of the round waddling after Aubrey and looking to hit him with single power shots.
Before last night’s fight, Peter hadn’t fought in three and a half years since being stopped in the 9th round by Robert Helenius in April of 2011.
Other boxing action on the card:
Juan Alejandro Saucedo KO 2 Mike Tutt
Luis Ramon Campas UD 6 Julio Cesar Lanzas
Grady Brewer UD 6 Said Ouali
Carson Jones KO 3 Shannon Miller
Cody Crowley UD 6 Anthony Hill
More Boxing News:
- David Lemieux vs. Max Bursak on December 7 in Montreal, Canada
- Boxing Results: Amir Khan destroys Billy Dib
- Amir Khan vs Dib, Peter vs Fury Weights & Photos
- Amir Khan and Billy Dib put on show during public workout – Khan vs Dib
- Hughie Fury vs. Samuel Peter added to Khan-Goyat on July 12
- Golovkin prefers Kamil Szeremeta over Canelo trilogy
- Tim Bradley says Shakur Stevenson could be the successor to Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- Errol Spence doesn’t want a tune-up, targeting Pacquiao, Crawford and Danny Garcia
- Eddie Hearn doubts injured Deontay Wilder will be ready to face Fury this year
- Chocolatito vs. Estrada 2, Haney vs. Campbell & Prograis vs. Hooker in July or August in U.S