Demetrius Andrade puts in petition for shot at the WBO vacant middleweight title
By Cameron Gillon: WBO Middleweight world champion Demetrius Andrade has put in a petition on behalf of himself to get a shot at the vacant WBO middleweight title that was recently vacated by Peter Quillin.
Andrade is one of many big up and coming prospects in the boxing world and has recently been calling out all the top 154 light middleweight fighters like Saul Canelo Alvarez and Erislandy Lara but it seems to be that neither are going to take the fight against Andrade.
Andrade is a tall awkward fighter. Canelo struggles with that top of fighter who can move and box and uses there brain well and Canelo has just come off a split decision win over Erislandy Lara and struggled in that fight, so its unlikely you will see Canelo take the awkward fight in Andrade straight after that fight.
The fact Andrade can’t get a big fight at 154 is likely the reason why he is going for a second division world title. If Andrade can get the fight against Matt Koborov and win the WBO title it means he holds that title in 154 and 160 divisions and with that on his resume he will surely get a big fight. If he decides to hold on to that title he could get fights against Miguel Cotto, Gennady Golovkin and Sam Soliman also.
It’s unsure what the chances are of Andrade getting the fight as WBO ranked 2 fighter Billy Joe Saunders has also sent in a petition so he can get the fight. Saunders has worked his way up the rankings to a mandatory spot, but whether or not he will get the fight is unknown. Saunders isn’t the WBO mandatory, Koborov is and the WBO may decide to let Koborov face Andrade for the bigger fight and Andrade is definitely more known to the casual fan more than Saunders.
If Andrade doesn’t get the fight then he will have to likely just go with facing a mandatory for his WBO light middleweight title, which is right now is Saul Canelo Alvarez. Canelo may decide to put that mandatory spot in place and take the fight but its not a easy fight. Canelo will likely go to face Joshua Clottey, who is the less likely dangerous opponent than Andrade. Clottey will stand and trade with Canelo. Clottey is a good fighter. If the Clottey who turned up against Anthony Mundine fights Canelo, it will be difficult for Canelo. If Canelo doesn’t fight Andrade then Andrade can fight Jermall Charlo who is 2nd in the WBO rankings and that’s a good fight. Charlo is another good young prospect and is highly rated in a lot of fans eyes so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
More Boxing News:
- Canelo Alvarez will fight Callum Smith or Demetrius Andrade next says Matchroom boss
- Saunders 3 options if no Canelo fight: Callum, Andrade & Eubank Jr
- Demetrius Andrade wants Canelo Alvarez or Jermall Charlo
- Demetrius Andrade: I’d bust up Billy Joe Saunders
- Andre Rozier talks Andrade, Derevyanchenko and Benavidez
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Jermall Charlo gives Sergiy Derevyanchenko a warning: “What round is it going to be?”
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Devin Haney will clear out 135 & 140-lb divisions says Mickey Bey