Marquez to be offered Pacquiao 5th fight in 2015
By Chris Williams: It seems that Top Rank promoter Bob Arum hasn’t given up on the idea of getting 40-year-old Juan Manuel Marquez (56-7-1, 40 KOs) to agree to a 5th fight with his No.1 money fighter Manny Pacquiao (56-5-2, 38 KOs) after failing to agree to the rumored $20 million asking price that Marquez wanted for him to fight Pacquiao on November 22nd this year.
Arum wants to set up a fifth fight between Marquez and Pacquiao in early 2015. If the fight fails to happen at that time then that’s going to likely be the end of any chances of them ever fighting again, because Marquez is said to be retiring in 2015.
Marquez will be meeting with his promoter Fernando Beltran, and he’s got a couple of fights that he wants to offer him. The first is a fight in Mexico City in what would be a farewell fight in Mexico. The other fight would be the one that Arum wants in a fifth fight against Pacquiao.
“Juan is not convinced whether to continue boxing,” said an unnamed source. “He has won everything and has been thinking about saying goodbye. He’ll be taking a holiday in August and will be deciding what to do with his future in the ring. He knows that Beltran and Arum will offer him two fights, one where he fights Pacquiao, which would bring him a lot of money.”
You can bet the other fight that Marquez will be offered will be someone from Arum’s Top Rank stable. Marquez just did Arum a big favor in fighting one of his stable fighters in Mike Alvarado last May in a fight that Marquez easily won by a 12 round unanimous decision. I wouldn’t be surprised if Arum offers either Brandon Rios or WBA champion Jessie Vargas for Marquez to fight next. Neither of those fights are worth it for Marquez, and neither would do anything for his legacy.
Marquez lives in Mexico City, an expensive place to live, but he’s a millionaire so he doesn’t need to worry about money anymore. There’s not much of a reason for him to continue to fight unless he wants to fight Pacquiao a fifth time or if Floyd Mayweather Jr were to show interest in fighting him again. Those are pretty much the only two interesting fights left for Marquez. He’s already played out the Pacquiao fight and proven that he’s the better fighter than him in arguably beating him 4 times while getting robbed in three of the fights.
More Boxing News:
- Pacquiao doesn’t rule out Golovkin bout at 154
- Conor McGregor looking desparate, still wants Pacquiao fight
- Arum approached by Kell Brook for Terence Crawford fight
- Errol Spence threatens to Go “Rogue” if Manny Pacquiao faces Mikey Garcia
- Manny Pacquiao adviser hints Mikey Garcia next for him
- Canelo Alvarez unlikely to fight on September 12
- Jorge Linares vs. Javier Fortuna off for Aug.28, Javier still wants to fight
- Teofimo Lopez vs. Vasiliy Lomachenko: Bob Arum hopes to finalize fight soon for Oct.3
- Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder 3 being moved to February 2021
- Danny Garcia beats Errol Spence predicts Jaron Ennis’ coach Acosta