De La Hoya: There’s no reason for Mayweather and I not to be working together
By Allan Fox: Floyd Mayweather Jr (46-0, 26 KOs) will be teaming up with Golden Boy Promotions for his rematch against Marcos Maidana (35-4, 31 KOs) on September 13th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
For some fans it’s surprising that Mayweather decided to fight on a Golden Boy card again because after Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer stepped down from the company recently, it looked like Mayweather was no longer going to fight on their cards to him being close to Schaefer. The two had a great working relationship, and with him gone things were unclear.
“There’s no reason for Floyd and I not to be working together,” Golden Boy president Oscar De La Hoya said via Dan Rafael of ESPN. “We don’t have to be best of friends. But we don’t have to be enemies or rivals or have issues. I’m glad that we came to terms and made this fight happen. I’m sure he could have chosen to use somebody else (as his promoter).”
It’s a big deal that Golden Boy will be promoting Mayweather’s next fight because it’s a chance to strengthen his relationship with Mayweather without Schaefer being there, and it’s a fight card that will make money for Golden Boy.
Mayweather Promotions doesn’t yet have a promotional license in Nevada, which is probably the main reason why they’re not promoting this fight themselves. They recently got a promotional license out of New York State, but the taxes are higher there than in Nevada, which doesn’t have a state tax like New York.
When Mayweather Promotions gets their license to promote fights in Nevada then it’s possibility that they’ll go ahead and promoter their own fights in that state. That’ll be a big deal obviously, because it’ll open up the possibilities for a lot of interesting fights that can take place.
As for the September 13th, it remains to be seen which fighters will be on the undercard of the Mayweather-Maidana II fight. Right now it’s just the main event. It’s likely we’ll see some of Mayweather Promotions fighters packaged with the card.
More Boxing News:
- Gervonta Davis training with Floyd Mayweather, preparing for Santa Cruz
- Floyd Mayweather Jr offered “sick” money for exhibition fights
- Mayweather reacts to Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr fight announcement
- Floyd Mayweather: Pacquiao fights because he has to, I fight because I want to
- Oscar Valdez BLAMES Mayweather for fighter ducking the best
- Canelo Alvarez unlikely to fight on September 12
- Jorge Linares vs. Javier Fortuna off for Aug.28, Javier still wants to fight
- Teofimo Lopez vs. Vasiliy Lomachenko: Bob Arum hopes to finalize fight soon for Oct.3
- Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder 3 being moved to February 2021
- Danny Garcia beats Errol Spence predicts Jaron Ennis’ coach Acosta