Ellerbe: Mayweather might work with Golden Boy for Canelo fight
By Dan Ambrose: Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe said yesterday that Floyd Mayweather Jr. won’t be appearing on any of Golden Boy Promotions’ cards now that Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer is no longer with the company. But that doesn’t mean that they won’t meet with the Golden Boy brass in the future for a potential rematch between Mayweather and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez Jr, Ellerbe says. That would be the exception to the rule as far as Mayweather appearing on a Golden Boy promoted card.
Ellerbe says that that the management person that they worked with in the past was always Schaefer and never Oscar De La Hoya. He said De La Hoya wasn’t sitting in on their meetings.
“If there was an opportunity and Golden Boy approached Mayweather Promotions about Canelo Alvarez wanting to fight Floyd Mayweather again, of course we’re going to sit down and have a discussion to see if the fight can be made,” Ellerbe said to Fighthype. “If there’s a situation where he had a fighter such as Canelo, would we do business? Yes, we would.”
Ellerbe would be burning his own bridges if he were to choose not to work with Golden Boy from this point forward just because Schaefer is no longer with the company. The captains of ships are interchangeable, and if he decides to walk away from doing business just because one person, he would be shortchanging himself and his own company. Getting stuck on one person with a particular company isn’t healthy, because in business you don’t give up working with a company when a CEO resigns. The companies keep working together if it’s good for both of them.
It is positive news that Elllerbe is talking about him sitting down to discuss a second fight between Mayweather and Canelo. That means there’s a good chance that we could see a rematch between them before Mayweather’s last three fights are up with Showtime.
More Boxing News:
- Gervonta Davis training with Floyd Mayweather, preparing for Santa Cruz
- Floyd Mayweather Jr offered “sick” money for exhibition fights
- Mayweather reacts to Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr fight announcement
- Floyd Mayweather: Pacquiao fights because he has to, I fight because I want to
- Oscar Valdez BLAMES Mayweather for fighter ducking the best
- Jermell Charlo and Billy Joe Saunders trade trash talk
- Ryan Garcia and Devin Haney must wait for Tank Davis clash says Mayweather Promoter
- Vasily Lomachenko reducing his purse to get Teofimo Lopez fight done
- Leo Santa Cruz can’t afford to take shots from Gervonta Davis
- Eddie Hearn wants Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder 3 cancelled if it’s pushed back to February 2021