Mayweather-Maidana undercard: Broner-Molina, Khan-Collazo & Love-Periban
— Floyd Mayweather (@FloydMayweather) March 24, 2014
By Chris Williams: Golden Boy Promotions has the undercard is pretty much set for the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Marcos Maidana card on May 3rd at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. Amir Khan will fight Luis Collazo in the co-feature, as was reportedly earlier today. In the fight just before the Khan-Collazo fight, former three division world champion Adrien Broner will be facing light welterweight Carlos Molina. In super middleweight action, unbeaten J’Leon Love (17-0, 10 KO’s) will be facing Marco Antonio Periban (20-1-1, 13 KO’s).
These are all good solid fights. None of them are really great fights, but they’re good enough to attract interest in the card. Having Khan and Broner on the card is enough to get fans interested in purchasing the card on Showtime pay-per-view. It doesn’t matter that Khan will easily beat Collazo and Broner will destroy Molina; it’s still going to be a good card.
Love, 26, will be taking a step up from his previous fight against Vladine Biosse in February in facing the 29-year-old Periban. The 29-year-old Periban has been in with guys like Badou Jack, and Sakio Bika. Periban has good skills and power. He should make it an interesting fight.
Molina, only 5′ 5½″, last fought in December of 2012 when he was halted in the 10th round by Amir Khan. Molina didn’t have the size or the power to compete with Khan in that fight. It would have been nice if Molina had stayed active after the loss to Khan, because it’s not quite as interesting for Broner to be fighting a guy who has been out of the ring as long as Molina has. The loss to Khan might have been a big blow to Molina’s career, because he was going along pretty good until he ran into Khan.
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer is pretty confident that the winner of the Khan-Collazo fight will be facing Mayweather in September. Schaefer points out that Saul “Canelo” Alvarez fought on Mayweather’s undercards before getting a big money fight against him last September. The only thing that you have wonder about is whether Collazo will have a chance to get the Mayweather fight or if this is something that only Khan can get. If only Khan has a chance for the Mayweather fight then it’s going to look bad if Collazo knocks Khan out and is subsequently ignored by Mayweather and Golden Boy.
More Boxing News:
- Gervonta Davis training with Floyd Mayweather, preparing for Santa Cruz
- Haney sends duck message to Tank, Broner, Lomachenko, Ryan and Teofimo
- Floyd Mayweather Jr offered “sick” money for exhibition fights
- Devin Haney intrigued by Adrien Broner fight
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Arum has Kell Brook as Crawford’s Plan-B if no Pacquiao fight
- Emanuel Navarrete vs. Jessie Magdaleno on Oct.17th/24th for vacant WBO 126lb title
- Naoya Inoue vs. Jason Moloney in the works for ESPN/ESPN+
- Tyson Fury won’t be fighting Dillian Whyte in 2021 says Warren
- Luke Campbell vs. Ryan Garcia have reached an agreement for November fight on DAZN