Broner: I had a minor setback [against Maidana], I’ll be back on May 3rd
By Dan Ambrose: Former three division world champion Adrien Broner (27-1, 22 KO’s) wants his fans to forget about his loss to Marcos Maidana from last year in December, and focus instead on his upcoming fight against Carlos Molina (17-1-1, 7 KO’s) on May 3rd on the undercard of the Floyd Mayweather vs. Maidana fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Broner would have been better off facing Amir Khan or at least a viable opponent for his next fight instead of Molina, who is one of Khan’s leftovers from 2012. The little 5’5” Molina was halted in the 10th round by Khan after taking a frightful beating, and Molina hasn’t been seen since. For that reason alone, Broner should have told his manager Al Haymon and/or Golden Boy Promotions to find him someone else.
Having him fight a guy like Molina puts Broner in a situation where he’s going to look silly for fighting Molina in the first place, and he could look even worse if Molina extends him for the full 10 rounds. If the fight turns out to be a competitive one then Broner will be made to look like a fringe level fighter, because Molina isn’t a top tier fighter at 140.
“I had minor setback but I am back on May 3rd. Everybody needs to understand that I just took a loss. I haven’t lost it,” said Broner. “I’m still “The Problem” and anyone can get it, whether you are African, Puerto Rican, Dominican, Cuban or Mexican.”
Broner should have insisted that he be put in with someone good or else be left off the card. Having him stepped back all the way to a fighter like Molina looks like someone who was put back in the wading pool because he showed that he couldn’t swim with the bigger children. It makes Broner look really bad. Amir Khan doesn’t look that great either being matched against a Luis Collazo, but at least he has a ranking in the top 15.
Molina is just some little guy with no power that Golden Boy Promotions dug up two years ago go to give Khan a sure thing win two years ago in their fight in December 2012. With Molina not having fought since, Golden Boy is digging him up again this time for Broner. It just looks really bad.
More Boxing News:
- Haney sends duck message to Tank, Broner, Lomachenko, Ryan and Teofimo
- Devin Haney intrigued by Adrien Broner fight
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Adrien Broner and Devin Haney interested in fighting
- Adrien Broner: If I return to 135, I’ll destroy the weight class
- Arum has Kell Brook as Crawford’s Plan-B if no Pacquiao fight
- Emanuel Navarrete vs. Jessie Magdaleno on Oct.17th/24th for vacant WBO 126lb title
- Naoya Inoue vs. Jason Moloney in the works for ESPN/ESPN+
- Tyson Fury won’t be fighting Dillian Whyte in 2021 says Warren
- Luke Campbell vs. Ryan Garcia have reached an agreement for November fight on DAZN