Persoon defeats Morelli
Belgian star Delfine Persoon put on a convincing performance to dethrone Germany-based Italian Lucia Morelli of the World Boxing Federation (WBF) Womens World Lightweight title on Friday night, December 13, at the Zaal Forum in Aalst, Belgium.
This was a rematch of their 2012 shootout which Persoon won by fifth round TKO after a memorable back-and-forth brawl that some felt was stopped prematurely, but this time there was no controversy as Persoon dominated Morelli from the start.
Despite Persoon being in control most of the way, it was again an exciting fight where Morelli had her moments, especially with her hooks to body and head, but Persoon was the busier boxer and her combinations seemed harder and were certainly more frequent.
The now former champion was knocked down in round six and nine, and Persoon had a point deducted in the ninth when she hit Morelli while she was on the floor. Referee Daniel Van de Wiele stopped the bout at 1:40 of the tenth and final round, saving Morelli from further punishment.
At the time of the stoppage, judges Jean-Marcel Nartz, Olena Pobyvailo and Christophe Hembert all had Persoon (28) in front by 89-79.
The new WBF World Champion capped off an impressive 2013 with her seventh victory of the year and improved her professional record to 28-1 (13). 34-year-old Morelli, fighting for the first time since winning the title against Rola El Halabi this past January, falls to 18-4 (8).
The fight was promoted by Patrick van de Meerssche.
More Boxing News:
- Frank Warren expects big things from Charlie Edwards
- Charlie Edwards signs with Queensberry Promotions
- Scott Harrison Aberdeen Undercard Update
- Hollywood star Danny Trejo talks about his love of boxing
- Four Hours of Legendary “Iron” Mike Tyson on ESPN
- Dillian Whyte wants Francis Ngannou fight
- New options for Canelo Alvarez’s fight in September
- Adrien Broner says he’s going back to the STREETS without $10 million
- Julio Cesar Martinez – is he the next star at 112?
- Fury wants to surpass Mayweather and Canelo with biggest contract