Malignaggi looking past Judah fight, wants Broner rematch or Maidana
By Dan Ambrose: Paulie Malignaggi (32-5, 7 KO’s) has what should be a really tough fight on his hands this Saturday night against Zab Judah (42-8, 29 KO’s) at the Barclays Center, in Brooklyn, New York, USA. This is a toss up fight where Malignaggi could very well lose if Judah brings his best ‘A’ game to the fight.
Malignaggi is looking past the Judah fight already towards a rematch he wants against WBA welterweight champion Adrien Broner, who defeated him last June to take his title by a 12 round split decision. Malignaggi also is interested in facing Marcos Maidana, Broner’s December 14th opponent, if Maidana defeats Broner. Malignaggi wants his WBA title back, in other words.
“I want that Broner vs. Maidana winner,” Malignaggi said.
I’m sure the WBA interim welterweight champion Keith Thurman might have something to say about that. Thurman would like to fight the Broner-Maidana winner as well, and given his #1 WBA ranking compared to Malignaggi’s #3 WBA ranking, it would seem that Thurman is more deserving of a title shot against the Broner-Maidana winner than Malignaggi.
You would have to hope that the World Boxing Association would force the Broner-Maidana winner to fight Thurman rather than Malignaggi, because Malignaggi already lost his title and he shouldn’t be allowed to get a shot at the belt with just one fight in between. That would keep the title flowing back and forth between Broner and Malignaggi, and that’s hardly fair.
Malignaggi might be removed the equation of getting a fight against the Broner vs. Maidana winner of Judah can do a number on him with his speed and power. Judah’s the type of opponent that Malignaggi has had problems with in the past. Malignaggi was easily beaten by a very Amir Khan in 2010, and he was also beaten by Ricky Hatton by an 11th round TKO in 2010.
What could be Malignaggi’s worst nightmare is if Maidana were to beat Broner, which would force Malignaggi to make the decision of whether he wants to face him or look in another direction for a safer fight.
More Boxing News:
- Haney sends duck message to Tank, Broner, Lomachenko, Ryan and Teofimo
- Devin Haney intrigued by Adrien Broner fight
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Adrien Broner and Devin Haney interested in fighting
- Oscar De La Hoya: Ryan Garcia vs. Luke Campbell not done
- Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr postponed until November 28
- Jay Harris: “Martinez Fight Announced Me on The Big Stage”
- Erislandy Lara vs. Greg Vendetti on August 29 on Fox
- Froch says Mike Tyson could gas after 4 rounds against Roy Jones Jr
- Ryan Garcia’s adviser returns fire at Bob Arum over criticism