Roger Mayweather: Rios may whip Pacquiao’s a**!
By Chris Williams: Roger Mayweather, the uncle and trainer for Floyd Mayweather Jr., is impressed with the opponent that Manny Pacquiao will be facing this Saturday night in Brandon Rios (31-1-1, 23 KO’s) in Macao, China. Roger thinks this could be a very tough fight for Pacquiao and sees this as a good test for him to see where he’s at. However, Roger also thinks that Pacquiao’s inactivity in the last 11 months could make him vulnerable to an upset in this fight.
“They gave a good fight for him then,” Roger said to Hustleboss. “I don’t know if he can beat him or not, but if the guy is tough and he brings it to him; [Rios] may get a chance to whoop his *ss, because he’s [Pacquiao] been off for a while too.”
Roger has a good point about Rios potentially bringing it to Pacquiao and beating him due to the long time off from the ring. You don’t normally see a fighter facing a really hard hitting opponent like Rios when they’re coming off of a long layoff and a knockout loss. This is kind of a dumb move by Pacquiao, and it’s a a sign of him being a little too confident with his own skills and not knowing his limitations.
If it was his promoter Bob Arum’s idea for him to be facing a tough opponent like this coming off of a knockout, then Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz should have overruled Arum by saying no to the fight. Who knows? Maybe Koncz did try and say something and it was Pacquiao who had the final says so. But if Pacquiao is paying Koncz money to be his adviser, then he should have warned him that it might not be a good idea for him to be facing a younger slugger like Rios coming off of a year layoff and a brutal knockout loss. I guess if Pacquiao gets knocked out in this fight then they can point fingers and blame it on someone. I just wonder who’ll be the one that gets blamed for the loss.
Roger has a point about Rios potentially giving Pacquiao problems if he takes the fight to him and looks to force him into a battle. Pacquiao’s trainer Freddie Roach has been saying all along that Pacquiao will box Rios, but I don’t think that’s going to be possible because Rios has a way of forcing all of his opponents to go to war with him. Even in his last fight against Mike Alvarado, Rios made him go toe-to-toe a lot of the time even though Alvarado was clearly running from him for 12 rounds in order to survive.
More Boxing News:
- Pacquiao inks new deal with Paradigm Sports, is Conor McGregor next up?
- Manny Pacquiao interested in Conor McGregor fight
- Mikey Garcia says he’s fighting Manny Pacquiao next 100%, not Conor McGregor
- Pacquiao has started training after Conor McGregor Tweet
- Freddie Roach tells Conor Mcgregor, Pacquiao beats you easier than Hatton
- Mikey Garcia: Lomachenko beat weaker & smaller fighters
- Boxing Results: Sergey Lipinets and Custio Clayton ends in 12-round draw
- Devin Haney reacts to Mayweather saying “too many belts”
- Hearn says Glowacki- Okolie and Ryder-Lemieux possible for Joshua-Pulev card on Dec.12
- Gervonta Davis: Teofimo Lopez’s win over Lomachenko wasn’t convincing